Menu
Dioxin
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Misleading text messages from Virgin

Can I suggest Virgin corrects the message they send each month to users of the £5 1GB data package?

I get a warning a few days in advance that says something like "Your 1Gb Data bundle renews on 20/04/2015. To cancel, text CANCEL to 789789 before this date."

It's nice to be reminded in case credit is a bit low and I need a top up first but this month I decided I didn't need it so I followed the instruction and texted "CANCEL" to 789789.
I got a reply "Oops! Looks like you've entered those keywords incorrectly. Need a hand? Visit our website at www.virginmobile.co.uk/help or call us on 789."

I tried again and texted "Cancel" to 789789.
This time I got a reply "Oops. You don't have a bundle, so we can't cancel it for you! Your bundle is the 1GBDATA bundle."

What? I don't have a bundle but my bundle is the 1GBDATA bundle?

I assumed the message was badly written and the original text had cancelled my 1GBDATA bundle which is why I don't have a bundle anymore.

The following day I get a message telling me the bundle has been refreshed and I was charged £5 for data I didn't want!

Searching online it appears what I should have texted to 789789 was "CANCEL Data5" but that's not what the message each month says.

I don't suppose I'll ever get my £5 refunded but can you at least correct the messages you send out as they are completely misleading.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Misleading text messages from Virgin

If you think you don't need data, make sure you turn off "Mobile Data" in your phone's settings. Your handset often thinks it needs data, even if you don't.

If you don't have a data bundle and your handset uses it, you'll be charged £1 each day that data is accessed. Potentially, you will spend more in the first week than you would have done on a bundle.

Assuming you've done all that already, just contact one of the team on here. It's not started yet, so it shouldn't be that big an issue to cancel the bundle and credit your account.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dioxin, 

Sorry to hear about these bundle text message issues you've been having.

In order to be sure the bundle has been removed for you, just give our customer service team a call on 789 form a virgin line or 0345 6000 789 from any other line, and the team can make sure it all gets sorted for you.

It would be awesome if you could let us know how you get on.

I look forward to hearing from you, 

Thanks, 

Adam

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Dioxin
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Gorf,
thanks, I was caught out by that £1 a day thing before even though I didn't use the data, the phone kept checking in for updates. I'm more careful now.

Adam,
I tried texting "CANCEL Data5" to 789789 as it says to do here:
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1003&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

..but I get the reply "Oops. You don't have a DATA5 bundle so we can't cancel it. Your bundle is the 1GBDATA bundle."

So I guessed and tried "CANCEL 1GBDATA" and  this time I got a confirmation that it was cancelled.

So, Adam, can you contact those that deal with this and get them to change the messages being sent so they make sense?
The message sent each month is "To cancel, text CANCEL to 789789" which is completely wrong.

The website I link too is also completely wrong.

I can't find anywhere that I should have texted "CANCEL 1GBDATA" yet that's what was needed. Customers shouldn't have to guess or use trial and error to do this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dioxin,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I'm glad you got this all sorted, I'll be sure to pass this on so you don't have this problem again.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos