Menu
Blind_Otto
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Microsoft Lumia 950 / 950 XL availability?

I'm hoping that the new Lumia 950 or the 950 XL will be offered to pay monthly customers before Christmas. However, I am starting to have doubts about Virgin's relationship with Microsoft.

My reason for wondering about the relationship is this:

Several years ago, one of Virgin's sales/customer reps talked me into upgrading from my Blackberry, to a Lumia 800. I'm glad I did. It was a good phone.

The next time, the best they could offer me was a Lumia 735. Again, a good phone, better than the 800 - but it was over a year newer, so that's no surprise.

Now, it seems that the only Lumia available from Virgin is the 640. I'm sure you can see the trend. Next time, it'll probably be a 500-series, then a 400... 300...etc. 

I don't want a 640. I want a 950 XL, and I want it in time to take advantage of Microsoft's free hub offer (You can plug in a full-sized screen, keyboard and mouse, and use it as a Windows 10 computer.)

Several of your competitors are happy to offer it, but Virgin's stock of anything that isn't Android or iPhone is extremely limited at present. 

So, please tell me - can I continue to be a happy Virgin customer this Christmas, or am I going to have to go elsewhere? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Microsoft Lumia 950 / 950 XL availability?

Hi Blind_otto,

Thanks for posting!

Thanks so much for thinking of staying with us when it comes to your next phone Smiley Happy

I'm afraid that at this moment in time, I have no news at all on the availability of the Lumia950 or 950XL on our network. I appreciate that this isn't the news that you were looking for and I'm sorry to not have better news when it comes to the desired handsets.

If you have any follow up questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Blind_Otto
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear that. Can you at least tell me, if I should buy one elsewhere, would it work on Virgin's network? I imagine it would, but it would be nice to get confirmation. 

I really need one as part of a private project I'm working on - and yes, I can charge it to "expenses"... but given that my upgrade is pending, I thought it would be nice to kill two birds with one stone. 

0 Kudos
doverton
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have bought phones locked to EE before now and they work just fine with my virgin SIM.  Probably because behind the scenes the Virgin Network is in fact EE!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Blind_Otto Smiley Happy

As long as the phone as unlocked, you'll be able to use our sim in the network.

We would love to keep you on board if you could do this!

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
Blind_Otto
Joining in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Good to hear. It's a shame that Virgin's phone selection is so limited, but I can't complain about the actual mobile service!

I'll keep an eye on Boxing Day sales for the new Lumia. Having tested one, as well as the current iPhone offerings, I can safely say it's currently the best around for what I need out of a phone. The 640? Not so much. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Keep me posted with how you get on Blind_otto Smiley Happy

I'm here if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
pdtscully
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I too would like to get the Lumia 950 XL, and still remain a customer with Virgin.. so are there any alternatives...?

Microsoft Lumia 950 currently retails at about £399 and the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL is about £469 (based on CarphoneWarehouse)

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

HI Pdtscully,

I have no news on any new Windows handsets currently I'm afraid. Is there anything from our current choice that takes your fancy? Smiley Happy

Mat

0 Kudos
Blind_Otto
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I ended up buying a Lumia 950 XL via Amazon. My Virgin Sim worked perfectly with it, and I've had no problems.

As far as the phone goes, I have no complaints. As my previous phone was also a Windows phone, all my apps, data and settings came across to the new one seamlessly. The phone itself is quick, responsive, and easy to use. The best part was when the Display Dock (special offer) arrived. I never thought I'd be using my phone as a laptop, but with a full-size screen, keyboard and mouse plugged into the dock, the phone performs as well as a mid-range laptop would. It comes with Office, and I've been able to do a lot of number-crunching in Excel in about the same amount of time that it would have taken on my desktop machine. Being able to use the phone as a track-pad in this mode is a nice feature, too.

Hopefully, Microsoft won't take too long with their plan to be able to run IOS and Android apps on Windows - but the current store offerings seem to have something for all my present needs. The rumours that Lumias will be phased out in favour of Surface phones don't bother me either - it'll be much the same thing, with a different name, as far as I can see!

It is unfortunate that Virgin don't offer this phone - but it's their loss. Amazon were perfectly happy to take my money!

0 Kudos