Menu
SBG1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Massive phone bill

Hi, I need help because, suddenly this month and last month, I have recieved a large phone bill.

Normally I pay 15 but now I am paying 40 and 45! I have not done anything different to usual. My bill break down says I'm using the internet all night. I am not. I always close my apps etc. I have wireless at home and use whatsApp to text.

I dont want to pay this much again. What do i need to do?

Also, I dont thow if I'm paranoid but I read in the newspaper last week people get missed calls from strange numbers and suddenly they get a massive phone bill. It's a scam. I've been getting missed calls from these 0191, and 020 numbers. How do I know if im a target or if this is connected?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Leanne

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Massive phone bill

Almost sure in is nothing to do with those numbers. I get 020 numbers quite often, mainly accident claim stuff. 

Sounds like something is draining the you data 

I'm not sure what phone you have but many switch off wifi after some time in standby and you can get spurious data charges. 

Sounds like a rogue app to me. 

If it is Android Swipe down from the top of the screen and open Settings, Data usage, then scroll down to view the list of apps using data on your phone. Click on an app, then select the option to Restrict background data

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm assuming your £15 doesn't include data? If that's correct, turn off mobile data on your handset. You will no longer be charged £1 per day as your handset won't be able to connect to the Internet when in standby.

Even if you enabled WiFi, that gets switched off when the handset has been in standby for a while. The operating system still uses a bit of data at these times, and has to resort to mobile data, and you're being charged the blanket rate for this.

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Almost sure in is nothing to do with those numbers. I get 020 numbers quite often, mainly accident claim stuff. 

Sounds like something is draining the you data 

I'm not sure what phone you have but many switch off wifi after some time in standby and you can get spurious data charges. 

Sounds like a rogue app to me. 

If it is Android Swipe down from the top of the screen and open Settings, Data usage, then scroll down to view the list of apps using data on your phone. Click on an app, then select the option to Restrict background data

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm assuming your £15 doesn't include data? If that's correct, turn off mobile data on your handset. You will no longer be charged £1 per day as your handset won't be able to connect to the Internet when in standby.

Even if you enabled WiFi, that gets switched off when the handset has been in standby for a while. The operating system still uses a bit of data at these times, and has to resort to mobile data, and you're being charged the blanket rate for this.
SBG1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I've got an iPhone4. I have now gone through and tried to switch things off.
0 Kudos
SBG1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying! You've been helpful.
0 Kudos