Menu
RH562
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Making Emergency Calls

My Virgin Mobile Pay Monthly phone will not allow emergency calls to 999 or 112.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Making Emergency Calls

Hi RH562

When you try what comes up?

You must have a signal to complete the call though .
Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Strange, without wishing to connect to an emergency number though, how would you try it to find out?

My understanding was that for emergency numbers mobile phones work across networks. So even if you don’t have a signal if the phone can pick up another network it will use that. (But obviously if it can’t get any signal then it won’t work).

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
If this has helped answer your question > click 'Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

AlexKid , I thought it was the same too , however from some strange reason I don't know if it works or not. Not something I am aware of so by all means some one can correct me . My understanding was it still didn't work.

I don't want to be the one that tests it either Smiley Tongue

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

0 Kudos
RH562
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Had full signal indications on the Samsung phone I was trying to us. Thankfully

I have a very old Nokia phone with a PAYG Virgin Sim and eventually used that to 

dial 999. If I hadn't that I would have been in trouble as I had been hit by a Hit and Run driver

and needed to contact the police. Luckily I was not injured or there could have been other

complications if I had needed an ambulance or other assistance.

Virgin "UnHelp" line in Timbuktu was a waste of time even if I had been able to understand the

woman. Have been with Virgin for decades and this is the first time I've ever needed help with

any of my Virgin services. There is not a Virgin shop or outlet for miles around where I live and

now I find the "help???????" line equally unavailable. Will have to do sone research for alternatives

I think.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

RH562

We still don't know what issue you had when you tried to dial 999 from the handset. I can fully appreciate that using 999 is a matter of emergency to which its vital that it works in the future !

Glad to hear though your not injured!

you can find your nearest store here
http://store.virginmedia.com/store-locator.html

0 Kudos
RH562
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Res That is the problem. There was a full signal available on the Samsung phone that I was trying to make the call.

Gave up and used an old Nokia phone that is in the car in a handsfree system with a Virgin PAYG sim. This worked

without any problem and I was connected to the Emergency Operator straight away, unfortunately it then took ages

for him to connect me to the Police as they took a long time to answer which added to the worry and frustration at the time.

The main concern is why my Samsung would not connect to the Emergency Services??? If I had not got the old Nokia

I could have been in trouble if injuries had occurred.

Virgin Helpless Line is useless so I went to a couple of shops in town - O2 and Carphone Warehouse who are as puzzled

as I am. So the problem has not been resolved or answered so will reconsider my contracts with Virgin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies RH562 and welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

This is a very odd one as phones don't even need any signal at all to make emergency calls as the emergency network will operate without it.

It sounds like there's a potential issue with the Samsung but I wouldn't be able to pinpoint this of course without calling the emergency numbers. How many times did you try and call the emergency numbers?

Let me know when you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi RH562,

How are you getting on with this?

Let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos