Menu
GADG3T
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Low Signal on Samsung Galaxy S6.

Go all.

I just got the Samsung Galaxy S6 a couple of days ago after moving to android from my iPhone 4. I have noticed that since using my new phone I am getting very low signals from virgin mobile when outside in my area of one to two bars at maximun (I live in South Shields, Tyne and Wear). I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced low signal problems with the Galaxy S6 on Virgin mobile as I am trying to determine whether the phone or the network is at fault.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low Signal on Samsung Galaxy S6.

my s6 edge shows my signal to be low in areas my old s4 showed it to be high but it still works fine i think its more based on how the phone reports it than actual signel.

theres no definate definition of what the signal bars mean, they vary from phone to phone so just take it with a pinch of salt,  if you phone does struggle though just send it back

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi GADG3T,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear the signal on your Samsung Galaxy S6 is not as strong as your previous handset.

Not sure if this is relevant but my Samsung Galaxy S5 only ever has 1 or 2 bars of signal but has never failed to make/receive a call or text.

Do you have trouble making/receiving a call or text? As alpha123 said, if it's not causing problems then it could just be different for each handset.

Please let me know if you get any further issues.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
GADG3T
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well so far people have been telling me that some of their calls to me have failed. Particularly around the times I gave been out. When I'm out I'm getting one to two bars but full bars when I'm home which is weird. Also I've had a few calls fail during the conversation which rarely ever happened before getting this phone. My brother just picked up the GS6 a couple of days ago, he is also with Virginia and having the same problems I am. Still haven't determined the culprit.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi GADG3T,

Thanks for keeping me updated.

This can be quite tricky to determine the cause of the problem. I've checked your signal in South Shields and it shows very good. This would explain why you're getting full strength.

I can't check other areas because I don't have the postcodes. It would also depend on where you are at the time people tried to call you I.E in a building with thick walls etc.

You may also find it useful to check out other forums to see if any other users are experiencing the same issue. Type in to Google something like "Samsung Galaxy S6 Signal Strength" and see what pops up.

The best advice I can give in this scenario is to contact the team at the same time your signal is poor to see if they can identify anything there and then. The number you need is 789 from a Virgin Mobile handset or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
GADG3T
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich_B

I've had a read on other forums regarding the device itself the GS6 and interestingly some users are having low signal issues but mostly on the network AT&T which if I am correct is a American provider I have not seen anyone else complaining with signal problems as of yet. 

I had a look in the device settings and the phone is reporting a signal strength of between -90 and -100 dBm which if my understanding is correct the lower the value the better the strength, and ideally it should be around -80dBM if my understanding is correct as I have said. 

When I am inside building I normally get 3 - 4 bars and that is good but outside it drops to 1 - 2 bars, that is very strange behaviour. I haven't spoken to VM over the phone yet but I may do soon and see if I can get some insight into this.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi GADG3T,

Thanks for keeping me updated.

I did read that too hence why I asked you to check because I can't confirm if there are any known issues with the handset.

Please give the team a ring when you get a chance. They may very well be able to change some settings to improve this.

I'd be very interested to hear some feedback. Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
GADG3T
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Rich_B

The issues I've been having continue to persist and I am now also having trouble receiving calls and texts. Most calls go to my voicemail and texts take about an hour to arrive this happens even when I have signal. I have spoken to the tech team at Virgin mobile. They are sending me a new sim card to see if it solves the problem. If not we will look at other options. I will continue to keep you updated as requested.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi GADG3T,

Thanks for the update and keeping us in the loop.

Let us know how the new SIM goes, fingers crossed for you.

Speak soon.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos