Menu
C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lots of web data usage that couldn't have happened

Hi. I have an Phone 5S and looking online at my recent usage it's showing a virtually endless list of "using the internet" at all times of the day and night. Obviously when I'm at home and if possible if using internet when I'm out and about I'm connecting to wifi so can't help wondering what's going on. I'm certainly not connecting manually and if it's apps connecting in the background then I don't know how as I've turned all that off (and I'd be connected to my wifi at night anyway). It's all included in my plan so not costing me anything but surely shouldn't be happening. Anyone else have this problem?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lots of web data usage that couldn't have happened

Your phone uses data all the time, bits here and there, it's not a lot but it happens. If you are connected to a wifi router, your phone will use that by default, but otherwise it will use your mobile data. If you've seen a big chunk of data disappear, it's likely your phone has been downloading an update to its operating system, or your offline satnav has been updating its map, or a whole bunch of apps have been given permission to update themselves whenever they feel like it.

The only way to stop this is to turn mobile data off.

Any mobile data that you use in any given day is rolled up into one total that's added to your account at some time after midnight.

Data gets used even when your phone is in standby Some phones will disable wifi after a short time in standby just to save battery. If mobile data is on, they will use that instead, otherwise they will tend to just wait 'til there's a data connection.

This all means you can have data taken off your allowance a) even if you aren't using the internet yourself and b) even when you think it should be coming from somewhere other than your limited and/or chargeable mobile data.

When you exceed your data allowance, any usage of the internet is charged at £1 per day or per 100MB per day, depending on your tariff. This includes the background data your phone uses by itself.

C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Gorf

Yes, I realise that bits of data will be used to update apps etc but this has not happened previously and nothing's changed my end. The fact that at home and work I'm connected to wi-fi should mean (I would have thought) that wi-fi would be used rather than mobile data. When I first noticed this a few days ago I turned off permissions for apps to update themselves in the background and turned mobile data off but it's still showing (see screenshot below) so my only guess is that there's something not right at Virgin's end. Not too bothered at the moment as long as it doesn't take me over my data allowance which is pretty unlikely - more concerned that something else might appear on there that actually costs me money Smiley Surprised – will have to keep an eye on it

screenshot.jpg

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Like your iPhone, we have a Windows phone which uses small data on a reqular basis, day, night or when on WiFi or not.

Will be interesting too hear from you when the usage stops showing now you have turned data off.

Screenshot_2015-12-23-13-53-53.png

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi C_J_W

I would say looking at the usage on the picture would be background data

18KB is a very small quantity of data,

if you didn't know ,

1024KB = 1MB

some of our packages we offer  can either be 250mb / 500mb / 1gb ( 1024 MB )

so I wouldn't really worry about the small amounts. if u are going over the allowences we can have a look at increasing this for you

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
C_J_W
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lee_B

Yes I realise it's only very small amounts of data and I'm not concerned by it which is why I haven't taken it up directly with Virgin, it's more that I'm wondering why it's happening now as I haven't noticed it before and with data turned off and being connected to wi-fi when at home or work then it just seemed a bit strange.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If mobile data is turned off, then something is wrong.

If you have both wifi and data turned on, your handset will use wifi until it's been in standby for a few minutes - then it reverts to mobile data.

If you've turned off mobile data on the handset and it's still being used, either the Virgin or the handset are lying...

0 Kudos
iggj
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"Any mobile data that you use in any given day is rolled up into one total that's added to your account at some time after midnight."
Not strictly correct! Any mobile data usage is added (except under exceptional circumstances, like roaming abroad) within 30 minutes or less to your DATA USAGE ACCOUNT (which you can access online - ideally on a PC to avoid data usage charges!). It is all copied as a charge to your FINANCIAL ACCOUNT in one chunk overnight, so it appears as one entry only on your bill.
0 Kudos
iggj
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same problem. I transferred from T-Mobile to VM about 3 years ago. With T-M, I was using about 100Mb/month (just calendar, address book sync. and occasional app updates - but no emails and no website access; not even the weather). With VM this hit 75% of my 500MB monthly allowance within 2 weeks (that was very suspicious for a start). I called technical support and all they could advise was switching off data usage!  Initially I was appalled at such a suggestion (and their cheek!), but then I thought - VM is costing me only 25% of what I was paying on my T-M contract and those services are really not essential; so I decided to stick with VM and go along with it. Tech support checked all the data settings on the phone with me and made sure everything relevant was switched off. I kept checking MyAccount for a few weeks after that; data usage was zero, as you'd expect, so I stopped checking. 

Then, 10th January this year, I got a VM text telling me I'd used (in just 10 days) 375MB of data (75% of my monthly allowance). I checked all my data settings -  everything was still off - so I contacted VM customer services. I got a load of gobbledegook - basically they would not believe me. So I went on their Facebook site and made LOTS of fuss. Again, got several pats on the head - must be your phone; wifi leakage(!!); etc. etc. So, I took out the SIM for 2 days (and put it in an old phone with no web access). "Using the internet" disappeared off my account. I then put the SIM back in and - zero usage for the next 48 hours (that was very odd in itself). Then, yesterday afternoon (after they probably thought I'd stopped checking!) the false usage started re-appearing in MyAccount. Only small amounts (so far) - but VM support absolutely assure me that it cannot be happening because of anything that VM is doing. But the phone is still set to prevent ANY form of data usage.

VM have suggested that my phone is faulty and I should have it repaired....

I've got a better solution - dump VM and go to an honest provider (IF you can find such a thing!!)

0 Kudos
iggj
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"so I wouldn't really worry about the small amounts"!
Is that really VM's official line?
If you have mobile data switched off and internet usage is still appearing on your account (and as, in my case, they added up to nearly my monthly allowance before I spotted the problem and pulled the SIM out of the phone) then charges are being falsely added to your account. I think it's technically a form of embezzlement, if VM are doing it; and, if they aren't, then maybe someone has hacked into the VM system and is transferring all their data usage, in little random chunks, to other customer's accounts.
You really think we shouldn't worry about it???
0 Kudos