Menu
MarkRoxy123
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Lost Phone and SIM Abroad

Hi,

Just wanted to query the odd process that is in place if you lose your SIM and phone abroad?

As soon as I realised my loss, I had my account suspended to prevent further use.

However in order to cancel the service completely, the SIM has to be reactivated for 24hrs before being cancelled.

More concern is that after reactivating the SIM, anyone who found my phone could now use the SIM card to rack up huge bills, particularly as the phone was lost abroad.

Can anyone let me know why an account cant just be cancelled and also why Virgin would deliberately expose their customers to fraud???

Certainly would not join Virgin again knowing this and will definitely check with other providers before joining!

Thanks

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost Phone and SIM Abroad

Suspending the account will stop any bill increase from that time. The password is required to re enable the sim, did you loose that as well?

Virgin have therefore done what they can for you, if you have insurance you need a police incident number and must report it with a time frame the insurance company lay down.

you failed to mention if it's a payg or contract a contract can't just be cancelled as there is almost always a time frame and possible charge involved.

if you loose the phone and sim the contract is not lost you still have a financial responsibility to keep paying or buy it out.

0 Kudos
MarkRoxy123
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Its a 30 day rolling contract

Yes I lost the phone and SIM as I don't make a habit of taking the SIM out of the phone when not in use (as I doubt anyone else does nor did I plan to lose it!!)

I want to cancel it and am happy to pay the 30 days or whatever is due.

I want to know why the SIM has to remain active to cancel when Virgin know it has been lost and can be potentially used fraudulently.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi MarkRoxy123,

Thank you for coming in, I'm sorry to learn that the phone was lost abroad.

I understand that it's never an easy time when this happens and can sometimes put a dampener on the situation. When the SIM card is still active, this would be after you have reported it and any charges from that moment would be something we would respectively know it wasn't you hence reporting this.

I hope that you have had a good trip and safe trip back to the UK.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos