Menu
JOC1
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Lost Mobile Signal Puzzle

So I have a situation.  Virgin customer for mobile phones for over 7 years.  Have been running 4 SIMS across my family, my kids and my business.  4 x old fashioned full size SIMS in 3 X Samsung Galaxy S3's and one in a Nokia E63.  All PAYG Virgin mobile SIM only deals. No problems with reception in the house for over 7 years.   A couple of months ago daughter got an S5, I requested and was sent a Micro SIM same number into the new S5 - no reception problems - seamless upgrade and well pleased.  Thinks me "this is easy".

New Samsung Galaxy S7 dual sim option arrives on the scene - brilliant I thought - get Virgin to exchange the SIMS in my S3 and E63 to Nano SIMS and plonk these into a S7 and I only need to run one phone.  Virgin exchanged the SIMS without quibble, and I put these into the S7.  Every thing the phone does suggests that it is functioning as expected, but what has happened to the mobile reception - mostly it is non-existent, the rest of the time it is limited to a little on either or both SIMS, but no-one can get hold of me. 

I'd welcome any clues as to whether it is likely to be the phone or the network, but if I get anywhere with decent coverage, i.e. a shopping centre I don't have any problems and the phone functions as I expect. 

Any thoughts welcome - many thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lost Mobile Signal Puzzle

Okay bit of an odd one..

Stay with me on this- is it it maybe the fact you have two VM SIMS in the phone at the same time?

Im thinking maybe the tower has more difficulty locking onto either as their physical location is the same? So at home (less signal) a lock fails where in areas of higher signal strength its fine?

TEST- remove one sim, bung in a random SIM (NOT EE or VM), see what happens. Just thinking radio wave interference or similair kind of like if you had two routers blasting out WiFi on the same band, a device has trouble finding either...

0 Kudos
JOC1
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies, many thanks for the thoughts (and the speed of reply).  Unfortunately the only nano SIMs in the house are the two currently in the phone.  So I can't experiment.  However, I did try only putting one in the first SIM position and leaving the other empty (which sounds possible to me as the second SIM slot would also take a SD card if I wanted an SIM/SD combination).  The reception was just as ropey with only a single SIM in the phone.   The Phone is supposed to support dual SIMs - Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Dual Sim.  I also can't find anything online to suggest that its a 'known' problem.  So yes, they are both Virgin SIMS, but working on the theory side of things I had assumed that both should function OK (as they do in high signal areas where I have seen both signal icons showing full bars at the same time)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeah the testing you CAN do more or less kills my theory..

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It may be a phone issue.
Where did you but it from, if outside of the eu (USA or Asia)
Then the phone may not be configured for the signal bands we use.

Check on gsmarena.com it should show you the info on the new phone, then choos a simple sim uk/eu version and see the difference
0 Kudos
JOC1
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi J0hn, well as you guessed it wasn't sourced in the EU/UK, but was sent (as it turned out!) from a location half way around the globe (which I hadn't been expecting).  It's a G935FD, the F suggests global the D I think stands for Dual SIM.  It was sold and advertised as functional in the UK and it does function OK on both SIMS in areas of high signal strength.

That website you listed shows:

Versions: G935 USA; G935F (Global); G935FD (Southeast Asia)
Also known as Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Duos with dual-SIM card slots

Network

TechnologyGSM /HSPA/LTE
 2G BandsGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
 3G BandsHSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 - G935F
 TD-SCDMA
 4G BandsLTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) - G935F
SpeedHSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat9 450/50 Mbps
GPRSYes
EdgeYes

From what I've been able to find out about bands and what exists where I need a 1800 (UK 2G?) and 2100 (UK 3G?) band and the phone would appear to cover this from what the web site shows - or am I reading it wrong.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've just compared that to my HTC m9 on the same site.

it does look like its good to go ,but there is one item that stands out on your posted info.

on the 2G info it's says sim1 and sim 2. That may mean the phone only supports 3G on one of the sims, but it's unclear.

Therfore I would expect calls and text on both ofthe sims and full service on the other. Trio and error to find out, but I'd guess on sim on having full function.

in settings, network settings, choose an option with 2G/3G/WCDMA auto or very similar 

To be honest I'd expect the call centre  staff to be of no help here as its out of there remit

0 Kudos
JOC1
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi J0hn

Yes that's right, only the fist SIM is 3G active (actually 2G and 3G from the one location, the other just takes calls (2G), therefore the SIM I want to use as default for mobile data goes in SIM slot 1, however, both should show signal for calls (and indeed do in high signal areas) since 2G is supported for that purpose across the Virgin network.  I know that we are on the edge of what is good coverage in this house - we are right in the corner of one of the boxes that sits between reasonable coverage and poorer coverage on the map, but it doesn't explain why the kids phones are OK.  It's almost as though its connected with the nano SIM tech, but as far as I can see its just the same size chip on a smaller base-plate so I would assume that the 'tech' inside is similar.  The trouble with getting anyone to check the coverage is that we are in the middle of nowhere and about 3/4 of a mile and several 'blocks' on the coverage map and many separate houses cover our postcode.  It's very difficult unless you can point at a map and say that's where we are.  It is also hard to reconcile when I look at the fact that I've had 7 years trouble free use.  I checked the transmitters ealier.  When I am on ground floor if I can find a signal it is about 3 miles SW of me with a significant hill (for this area) in between.  If I go upstairs it shows a signal about 4 miles from another transmitter the far side of a local estuary - now I don't know if that is a long way from a transmitter or not........

0 Kudos
JOC1
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

NB.  I see that Vodaphone offer something called a sure signal booster - does anyone know if Virgin do something similar?

NNB.  The problem isn't isolated to me there is at least one thread on GigGaff's forums and one on Vodaphone reporting problems following a change to nano-sims.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin does not offer that 3G offer one, my understanding is that you home wifi is used to start the call and from there it's routed onto the mobile network in the normal manner.

the nano tech should not affect the signal, but newer phones tend to have a lower power transmit/ receive than the older phones.

4 miles is close to the max for a 3G mast, the issue with 3G is that when it's busy it reduces the power, meaning they if your at the end of the line you drop off leaving everyone else making calls with a decent signal, breathing it's called.

if your in a poor reception area than there is little more we can do, unless your contracts are almost up, then you could consider a move

0 Kudos