Menu
c_smith
Dialled in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Loss of mobile service - ML5 area

I have had a network issue in my home area for the past three days which I've reported, but I'm not entirely satisfied with the explanation I've been given.  Over the past three days, I've called customer services four times regarding being unable to send or receive calls, texts or data.  

On Sunday, I was told there were no network problems in my area and it could be a problem with my sim card or phone.  A new sim card was sent out on Monday, but did not resolve the problem.  I called again and was told there were no problems with the network and it could be a problem with my phone.  I spend about 35 minutes on the phone with customer services trying various adjustments to phone settings which made no difference and it was then suggested that I may want to go for a phone upgrade which I politely declined.  

By this time, assured that there was no problem with the network, I felt the only option left open to me was to carry out a full backup and factory reset of my phone, which took hours and made not one iota of difference so I was convinced by this time that there must be a hardware fault with the phone.  

However, today, I have been away from home all morning working, and my phone has been working perfectly well.  Until I returned home that is and no more calls, texts or data.  I then spoke to a family member who lives nearby who informed me that he has had an intermittent service for the past couple of weeks whilst at home.  

I called customer services twice today and was finally told that there is a problem with four masts in the area which "are not critical" and are classed as amber.  Presumably this means that they are not a priority, but having been without a reliable mobile phone service for the past few days, I can assure you it is a priority for me as I need my phone for work purposes whilst at home.  The gentleman I spoke to said that the masts were "warming up" (whatever that means, it sounds to me like technobabble for it's not a priority) and it would probably be another two to three days before the problem is resolved.  

Could someone please assure me that this matter is now being dealt with and if so, why it would take 2 to 3 days for masts to "warm up" enough for the problem to be fixed?   Thanks.  

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
c_smith
Dialled in
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Loss of mobile service - ML5 area

It's finally fixed!  Spoke to the Technical department again on Friday and the representative I spoke to escalated it to EE when I gave her the information that was requested.  Thank you Ruby, I've finally got a reliable phone service again.  

0 Kudos

All Replies
c_smith
Dialled in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Another day and another day of no service! Is this problem going to be fixed or not?
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

In all honesty it is not down to Virgin but EE. And there are a myriad of reasons why it is taking time. 

And don't forget that EE are now BT, so expect things to get worse

c_smith
Dialled in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It's bad enough and a big inconvenience that I haven't had any service for the past few days, but if virgin had told me right at the start there was a problem with the masts then I wouldn't have had to spend the best part of two days thinking my phone was at fault, searching for answers online and having to do a full backup and restore, which as anyone who has done it knows, is a complete pain in the butt!

Might be time to switch to talk mobile on the Vodafone network, I see they're doing a sim only deal for £7.50: 1000 minutes, 5000 texts and 2gb data. I've been with virgin mobile for years and have been happy with the service up until now, but I need a reliable service.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well, all networks have problems, but I have to admit there are some good deals out there at the moment.

But AFAIK no 4G at present with Talk Mobile, the same as Virgin

0 Kudos
c_smith
Dialled in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well, according to the EE network service status check page, the problem in my area was Fixed at 16:53 on 19/04/2016.   

Wonder why I STILL can't send or receive calls or texts then?  

0 Kudos
c_smith
Dialled in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just called Customer Services again and by selecting different options on the main menu was fortunate enough to speak to Paul from the UK based Technical team this time.  He was very helpful, knowledgeable, easy to understand and didn't fob me off with technobabble or try to sell me a new phone I don't need as I experienced with the foreign call centres I've been diverted to the past 3 days.  He confirmed that the fault with the mast has not yet been fully resolved and gave me clear instructions on what I need to do if the fault is still present in 24 hours.  

Whilst my problem isn't yet resolved, as least I now feel as though it's being addressed.  

0 Kudos
johnheatley
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm having a similar problem in the PR1 area. I can access the internet from my phone but can't make or receive calls or texts. The screen also shows 'no service' in the top left corner. I have just returned from the Netherlands (18/04) and my local virgin media store suggested that my problem was with my phone having attempted to connect to Netherlands settings. Connecting to iTunes should correct the settings. I have tried this but there is no change. From what you're saying I may have to leave it a few days and see what happens. 

0 Kudos
c_smith
Dialled in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The difference with mine is that my phone registers on the network okay, but I still can't make or receive calls, data or texts.  I think it's something to do with the signal the mast must be putting.  I've been out all day at work and no problems whatsoever.  I've just returned home and back to no service for the 5th day.  

0 Kudos
johnheatley
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Very strange. It's obviously not your phone as it works fine elsewhere. I'll give mine until Saturday then it's another trip to the store.

0 Kudos