Menu
toca180
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Long SMS sending as MMS

Hi

Since sending an MMS message all my long text messages (messages over 160 characters) want to send as MMS. I am using a sim free Nokia Lumia 830. I have turned group text off in the message settings (this was already off). I was able to sent long messages as text messages before sending a picture via MMS. I have tried changing settings -> network + -> SMS character set to full. This was set to reduced and restarted my phone but this has not helped. This is happening to all contacts I try to message not just the contact I sent the MMS to. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening?

Many thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Long SMS sending as MMS

Many handsets do this. You may need to investigate on a Nokia forum to see if there's a way to disable this feature on the stock messaging app.

If not, you may need to look for an alternative app to send long (or group) texts as SMS instead of MMS.

0 Kudos
Tiger1962
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm having a similar problem only from today as is someone else who's posted. Any SMS messages over 160 characters are blocked - on my BlackBerry Q5 getting Network out of Order so don't think it's handsets.
0 Kudos
toca180
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Glad to see that I am not alone. Although sorry to hear others are having issues. Hopefully someone from Virgin will respond or the new sim will resolve this.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
toca180
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As an update I have tested it again (11:40) today and I am still having the same issue. I am starting to think that this is unconnected to me sending an MMS as there are others having this issue.

Virgin, any news on this?

Many thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
Tiger1962
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can now send over 160 characters as of this afternoon so something has been fixed at VM?

0 Kudos
toca180
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting me know. I have just tried and I can too. I guess they have done something.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
Tiger1962
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Would be good to have a response from VM though
0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

alot of phones do this, it tends to be more of a handset issue than a provider, some will have alimit in options some its hard coded.

0 Kudos