Menu
mronks
Dialled in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Leeds data unusable

Hi, the data connection in Leeds City Centre has been abysmal for months now with it often been slow or unavailable, particularly in congested areas. I already have to resort to 2G only at home even though that's supposedly well covered, at least I have wifi so it's not a huge issue (apart from 10-20% of the time when it drops to no service). But if I don't even have data in the city centre at work then what am I paying for.

You've just put my contract up by 22%, you have no 4G and now I can't even use 3G.

It's not an EE issue as my T-Mobile contract works flawlessly in the exact same locations.  During rush hour in busy areas such as the train station I'll have no data connection what so ever until I'm at least half a mile out of the city centre. My T-Mobile contract is again fine.

It's got significantly worse in the last few days to the point now where I essentially have no data in the city centre. Whatsapp [text] messages take an age to send (images are out of the question), massive delays receiving them and even 53kb images are timing out when downloading. My browser can barely load webpages, timing out in most cases or taking a few mins to even load facebook. I'm connected to 'Virgin' with HSDPA+ on 4-5 bars using a Galaxy S3, I've re-setup the APN a few times and even reflashed the phones modem to no avail.

As if that wasn't bad enough, you've put my contract up by 22%, offer no 4G and the service is significantly worse than EE's which you supposedly run off.

Please sort this out and you might keep me a customer for a little longer, although I'll be looking to leave at some point due to no 4G and the crippled service.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leeds data unusable

Hi mronks,

Welcome to the Community Forum. I'm really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing a problem with the signal strength on your mobile. 

I've been able to check around Leeds City Centre and can see that there are no masts down, so there's no obvious issue showing except congestion due to the area being a busy city centre. It’s great that you have second handset and that you’ve been able to confirm there are no problems on the T-Mobile service.

Are you able to swap the SIM cards over from your Virgin Mobile handset to your T-Mobile handset and see if this makes a difference? This can rule out a handset issue.

There are a few other things that can be checked like switching your Network mode over (usually this is set to LTE/3G/2G—just switch it over to 3G/2G), reboot the phone and see if this makes a difference. If you are still having a problem after these checks, then we could get you a replacement SIM card and see if that improves your signal.

If you are able to try the SIM card swap over on your two handsets and let me know how this goes first of all, then we can take it from there.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Also try a manual network search, if thre are 2 virgin options, one will be a lower case v, the other an upper case V choose the lower case v

0 Kudos
mronks
Dialled in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I'll switch phones next week, I've still got no data, I've rebooted the phone multiple times and it can only do 2G/3G. Also only Virgin is available, it can't see virgin at all.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi mronks,

Thanks for getting back to us, sorry that this issue is still ongoing. Let me know how this goes and if you continue to have problems with this, I can investigate this further for you.

I'll pop a private message over to you requesting more details. Just click on the purple envelope at the top of right of the screen.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
mronks
Dialled in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

So I've got a new sim and still no data, here are some speedtests from 9:04 - 9:11 (time stamp is 1 hour early). Also attached some more screenshots showing that the connection kept dropping inbetween these. Past about 10am I had no data connection for the rest of the day (until I was a few miles out of the city centre). I've attached tests from around 1:30-2pm from two different phones (same sim, Galaxy S3 [I9300] & a Sony Xperia U) so you can see that it isn't my phone, the none existent network is terrible. These are from 20+ attempts with at least 75% timing out and not giving a result. Also couldn't access via browser or send whatsapp messages either.

Screenshot_2016-08-16-09-09-33.pngThis one timed outThis one timed outPhone 1Phone 1Phone 2Phone 2

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

One last thing to try, it works for a small umber of people I'm one.

do a manual network selection, if there is two virgin options, select the top one and try it, if no joy then do it again and choose the second option, one will have an upper case V and one a lower, the upper case should be the one you need buy give it a go 

0 Kudos
mronks
Dialled in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

As mentioned earlier, I can only see Virgin most the time, no virgin available. Thanks though for the suggestion. I'll do another scan today regardless and see. It forgets that everytime you reboot though anyway.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi mronks ,

Thank you for sending the speedtest details over.

I know this isn't ideal, but can you try your SIM in a different handset?

I appreciate that not everyone has another handset to test, but as we're not showing any reported problems on the network in the area you're having problems in and we've replaced the SIM card, the next step will be trying another handset to rule out a device issue.

0 Kudos
mronks
Dialled in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi, sorry if it wasn't clear but I mention in my post and the screenshot annotation that I used the same sim in two handsets and had the same in both with no data at all in either apart from very intermittently during early morning. I used a Samsung Galaxy S3 and a Sony Xperia U. Tomorrow I'm meeting a family member who is also on Virgin and has a Oneplus One so whilst I can't try my sim in their phone I'll see if that works. But I once again had no data all day, as soon as I'm on the train and about a mile or two out I suddenly get slammed with all the whatsapp messages and emails I've not had through the day. I wasn't able to do a single speedtest at all today as it timed out even trying to ping a server.

0 Kudos