Menu
Vancreef
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

LG G4 Boot Loop

A couple of weeks ago my 1 year old LG G4 decided to switch off for no apparent reason. When I tried to switch it back on there was no response, until I eventually removed the battery, re-fitted it and the phone switched on.

The phone stayed on for approx 1-2 minutes afterwhich it instantaneously shutdown. When I tried to switch it back on I was presented with the exact same problem.

After having removed and re-fitted the battery several times the phone finally resorted to what I now know to be the dreaded LG "Boot Loop".

I contacted Virgin Mobile Support who sent me a "Phambulance" in which I packed the phone and returned it for what I thought would be a free repair.

Virgin now want £174 to fix what is an obvious manufacturing fault by LG as they claim that there is corrosion in the phone, which I feel is a complete cop-out.

Their other solution was not to worry because if "pay the remainder of the contract (£240) I can start a new contract and have a brand new phone". Seriously?!

Why should I pay the remaining balance on a phone that doesn't work?

I'm absolutely appauled at this and currently looking to get ALL my services elsewhere, which includes TV, Broadband, Phone and two mobiles, a total of £140/mth.

Has anyone else had the same issue with their LG phone and been fobbed off or have you managed to negotiate with them?

They were supposed to call me back today but haven't, and every time I call them I get someone different and have to go through all the background over and over again, despite each advisor telling me that they have put notes on the system so I won't have to keep repeating myself.

I'm also going to contact Trading Standards as I think Virgin's so-called 24 month warranty is a joke as they will find a way to get out of repairing your phone, even when it is a legitimate fault.

0 Kudos
Vancreef
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: LG G4 Boot Loop

A quote from BBC Watchdog website about your consumer rights;

The shop may say you have to claim a refund from the manufacturer, or claim under the manufacturer's guarantee. This isn't true. Shoppers' rights under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) are against the retailer, not the manufacturer. Guarantees simply give additional rights which shoppers can choose to use.

Sometimes it's easier to use the guarantee, but you should make it clear to the shop that you're reserving your rights under the Sale of Goods Act if you aren't happy. Irrespective of how long the goods actually last, you have up to six years to claim compensation from a retailer for a faulty product, far longer than you have under most guarantees.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

4th post this week about Virgin's repair service. 

J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sadly the phone as all phones do come fitted with moisture detectors, if these change from white, it voids the gtee, I suspect that's why there is a charge, they won't just repair the phones issue and send it back, moisture issues are normally resolved by replacing the main board, hence the large cost.

I'm not supporting virgin here just telling you how it is sadly, if you have it insured then I'd go that way, you'll only have an excess to pay that way.
0 Kudos
Vancreef
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the moisture detector as that was one of the things I was asked to do before they would agree to arrange collection. The detector was pure white.

Their arguement was that the "Phone displayed signs of physical damage", which I questioned and was told that the charging port is slightly corroded.

I have read that the Boot Loop is caused by inferior soldering of one or more of the internal components that eventually fails, and could easily be mistaken for corrosion.

My main issue is that they are turning a blind eye to what is currently centre stage with not just the G4 but there are also reports of G5 and V10 versions failing for the exact same reason. I'm basically stuck with either a £174 repair bill which I don't agree with or I will have to pay the phone off, even though I don't have one now. I've also read that some repaired phones can have a repeat bout of the Boot Loop, so Ideally I want the phone replacing and not with an LG one.

I would consider that breach of contract.

I'll see what responses I get from BBC Watchdog and Trading Standards who I have emailed this evening.

0 Kudos
Vancreef
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI Enlli,

And it's only Tuesday lol.

Lee.

0 Kudos
Vancreef
Tuning in