Menu
wantila
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Keeping old number

Hi 

I have a Virgin contract, and have just requested to upgrade to a 4g sim

Virgin have told me that as I am already their customer, I cannot have my old number transferred. But if I was transferring from another supplier there would be no problem.

My question, is there a way round this, as I have a lot of stationary with my old number.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keeping old number

Be careful they have not put this through as a second account, because it is perfectly possible to transfer numbers on an upgrade.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

An upgrade to a new 4g SIM, will be a replacement SIM for your old SIM, it will have the SAME phone number, it does sound like whoever dealt with you - did not have a clue what they we're doing. I would get back on the phone (789) and find out what is going on.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
wantila
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks All

Took your advice and phoned them. Seems the person who phoned me didn't know what he was doing. A nice lady has cancelled the 2nd account, and organised, new sim card in my name.

Maystar313
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue, I cancelled my contract as it was renewed without me knowing after i was harassed by virgin to get an early upgrade which i apparently failed the credit check. only been with them 8 years without a problem. So i decided to let my contract run out and get a sim only plan, So my contract expired on the 25th of December but automatically renewed at the same cost as i was previously paying but with no shiny new phone. To add insult to injury i realized that my contract had been changed during the last few months and my data allowance was changed from 2gb to 1gb hence me getting bills that had doubled although virgin denied i ever had 2 gb.

So ive ordered a sim only sim and been told i cant transfer my contract number to this sim, wasted an hour on the phone to them. No one seems to ever understand when you call up with a problem......most of the time theres no solution

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Maystar313,

unfortunately it's not possible to move a mobile number within the network (so not from your new SIM only to your old contract SIM). The only would be to:

1. Call 789 & request a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) for your old contract number.

2. Port your number out to another network (cheapest(free)/easiest available SIM from any other network).

3. Once established on a new network. Request a PAC from your new provider then port your number back to Virgin on to your Pay Monthly SIM only.

However as you've only just ordered it, you could cancel.

Give notice (if you haven't already got this sorted) on your old contract SIM which presumably is just 30 day rolling?

Then upgrade that number to a new SIM only plan.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos