Menu
chicpea
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Kazam Tornado 348

Hi everybody, I have had the above phone since April, use it for all my banking etc.  Recently it's developed a problem.  Whilst using the browser I'm getting ads thrown at me from all directions. 

I downloaded malwarebytes from play to check that all was okay, and it picked up android/PUP.Adware.Gmobi/system/app/RockClient.apk , when I try to delete this on malwarebytes I get the message uninstall app (Software Update), if I click on uninstall I get the message uninstall unsuccessful, which looks like I'm stuck with it.

I don't really want to do a factory reset as I will lose everything, and judging by this article ( https://news.drweb.com/show/?i=9882&lng=en ) it still won't get rid of it unless the manufacturer releases a firmware update to counteract this.

Thanks for reading, anyone got any ideas ?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Kazam Tornado 348

Yes, reset regardless of the pain, you can save email stuff, and other date via the app and also save your photos and music, when you have reset, install malwarebytes first set it up then do all the other stuff you need. Have you rooted the phone ,it's normally that allows it in
0 Kudos
chicpea
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JOhn,

Thanks for this I will try it, erm...this might sound stupid but how do you root a phone? .....................Sorry I'm a novice.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok if you've not rooted it, then it's not a problem, techie geeks like me do it to their phones
0 Kudos
chicpea
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Quick update..................... I reset my mobile but unfortunately the bug is still there, not sure what I can do now apart from making sure I don't do any banking on it.  Unfortunately I lost all my contacts (I thought I had saved them to my sim, but it seems not) any ideas would be appreciated, thanks guys.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You have only partly reset the phone for the app to still be there, I suspect that you did not clear the sd card or user partition, there is more info on it now bit it seems to be difficult to remove, but not as dangerous as it may seem, however it'd it was mine I'd try my best to be rid of it, so try this:

Mobile Security & Antivirus

From the play store
0 Kudos
chicpea
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks J0hn, I did a reset from the main menu.. settings, back up & reset, factory reset, erase everything......if that makes any sense.

I downloaded Avast but surprisingly that didn't pick up the PUP Gmobi.A(variant), so I looked for Mobile Security & Antivirus found that on play store as you suggested and ran a scan, it did detect the bug, but the message I got when I tried to delete it was.. " software update is a system application and cannot  be uninstalled"

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok I've done more investigation for you, it's built into the Kazan software, apart from driving you mad there is not much you can do, they are not the first or the last to do this, see if there is a software update,
Settings, about phone software updates, or similar if there is enough save your stuff first as updates normally wipe the user data partition and your stuff with it
Gmail for contacts, apps, mail and the like, just copy to a PC/laptop photos and music, whatsapp has its own back up ruff on it so check that if you have whatsapp
chicpea
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi J0hn, thanks, I think I will have to sit this one out and look for something bug free in 18 months time when my contract expires.  I emailed Kazam, just waiting for a reply.  In the meantime I decided to check the spare phone that I have it's a Kazam trooper 455 and what do you know, the same bug came up on that one too when I ran Malwarebytes.  I won't be buying Kazam again,I will do a bit of research next time.  Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos