Menu
Luke12341
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just installed my sim card, getting no service notification

I've just taken out my old sim card and installed the new one, but I'm getting a no service notice. Can't call anyone or anything. Help? Tried the old  switch off and switch back on again routine, but no help. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Just installed my sim card, getting no service notification

are you swapping phones and the new sim is a different size - nano or whatever - if so you need to follow the correct procedure - from memory you send a text from the old sim then swap them over and wait - you then have to send another text - again assuming its that then its all in the instructions

the switch over usually takes a few minutes but it can be longer so give it time

if not - put the old sim in if its VM and ring 789 - you might be able to do that with the new sim

Tony
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

are you swapping phones or swapping provides - if so is the phone you are putting the sim in unlocked to VM

Tony

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

are you swapping phones and the new sim is a different size - nano or whatever - if so you need to follow the correct procedure - from memory you send a text from the old sim then swap them over and wait - you then have to send another text - again assuming its that then its all in the instructions

the switch over usually takes a few minutes but it can be longer so give it time

if not - put the old sim in if its VM and ring 789 - you might be able to do that with the new sim

Tony
0 Kudos
Luke12341
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this, Tony, but the instructions just say to insert the new sim, which is fine; and then call to set up my voicemail. . But I can't make any call as there's no service. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

are you swapping phones or swapping provides - if so is the phone you are putting the sim in unlocked to VM

Tony
Luke12341
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You are kidding me, right? When I looked up offers on the site, no one said anything about having to get my phone unlocked. Just 'buy this and stick it in and it all works'. But apparently you are perfectly correct; I've just rung my old provider and they are processing unlocking my phone. Didn't mention the need for this when I requested the PAC code of course. I just wish they'd make these things clear to old folk like me who aren't so tech savvy! Thank you for this, and hopefully my problem will now be resolved in the next couple of days. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm glad you got to the bottom of this Luke12341 Smiley Happy

Please let me know how you get on with this. I'm here if you have any questions.

A warm welcome to the Virgin Media Forums too!

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos