Menu
cje72
Tuning in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Just how difficult is it to set up roaming?

As it's now a week since i first tried to set up roaming, I thought I'd post here in case anybody else can help.  The following outlines the sequence of events:

April 1: holiday booked at short notice. Try to log in to Virgin Mobile account to switch on roaming, but not able to log in, despite using the correct email address and password - see separate thread on that.

April 2: still no joy logging in.  Called 789 and told the account service is down, so the operator can't help me - suggests I call back the next day.

April 3: called back - same answer.  Still unable to log in to my account either.

April 4 (morning): called again, as travelling that day.  Told that account mgt was still unavailable, but that my account would be flagged for roaming to be activated when it came back, and that I should do a hard reset later that afternoon.

April 4 (pm, late, now abroad): hard reset done, no roaming active.  (Phone can detect 3 networks, but not authorised to connect to any of them).

April 4 (late evening): arrive at booked accommodation to find out it is full, and we have been booked elsewhere.  Holiday company has been trying to call & text us all day, but guess what?

April 6: another hard reset, but no joy.  Can't call VM now!

April 8: same again.

Just how difficult is it to either enable roaming, or set up a website that people can log into with the details they have previously entered?  Every other opertor can activte roaming seamlesly so why is VM unable to do it?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just how difficult is it to set up roaming?

Hi cje72

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you've been having getting the roaming service activated on your account.

I've sent you a PM so we can take a closer look into this for you - just reply to the PM if you have any questions Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Unhappy1231
Joining in
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Same here, was supposed to have been set up prior to coming on holiday, Virgin person confirmed it had been done, arrived in Portugal to find it has not been set up, finding it impossible to contact Virgin, was on a page and web chat popped up but operator then decided she did not deal with mobile and would not help, she did conform I had to CALL Virgin mobile even though she knew I had no way of doing so, cannot email etc, had to register on this forum just to see if someone from Virgin is able to pick this up and get me connected as I am unable to call or text home, appalling service and judging by the many complaints it is very common for Virgin to balls up a simple request like this, 2nd year in a row they have fail d to activate, not sure what else you can do when Virgin advise it has all been set up when you are still in the uk

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Unhappy1231 wrote:

, not sure what else you can do when Virgin advise it has all been set up when you are still in the uk

There is something you can do if you have net access.  Sign in here

https://mobile.virginmedia.com/ecare/login

and check to see if roaming is turned on (one of the tabs will show you). Turn it on if it is off.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Unhappy1231
Joining in
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Wife can't remember the security question she set up, clicking on the "forgotten security question" button you are then prompted to call Virgin, thwarted at every turn

0 Kudos
Unhappy1231
Joining in
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I can set up data roaming from the phone, it is calls and texts I need, seems this can on,y be activated by virgin

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Unhappy1231 wrote:

Wife can't remember the security question she set up, clicking on the "forgotten security question" button you are then prompted to call Virgin, thwarted at every turn

I'm confused. I just signed into my mobile account to check what I'd said. I'm only required to enter my e-mail address and password - which is all I have ever done. Got straight in.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Unhappy1231 wrote:

I can set up data roaming from the phone, it is calls and texts I need, seems this can on,y be activated by virgin

No - you can do it now using the revised site!

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Unhappy1231
Joining in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Firstly, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

when I try and log in it does not recognise the email address, even though I know this is correct, the password is also correct as it was confirmed when we tried to set up the call and text service, so I cannot even log in, when I hit the forgotten password button I am prompted to call, when I try to set up a new account it tells me one exists at my email address !

0 Kudos
Unhappy1231
Joining in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Now when I click on the forgotten email link I am prompted to input name, mobile and post code, then it states it does not recognise and to register again, when I try to do so it recognises we have already registered the number and asks us to call, simply going round in circles, might need to just send a postcard as it will get there quicker than trying to sort out something as simple as contacting Virgin mobile , I have never seen such a crap system in all my life, needles hassle to solve a problem of their making

0 Kudos