Menu
vtownsend
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ive been charged for Text Messages longer than 150 characters !!

I am a regular user of Virgin, both for mobile and Cable Broadband.

Over the last three months I have been charged for text messages saying they are picture messages at £0.40 each.

I have phoned VM to express both my dissatisfaction and annoyance.  I have not been told about these charges and I pay £10 PCM for u/l text, calls and 1GB data. At no point of signing up was I told that if a text message exceeds 150 characters, includes any emotication etc that it will be converted to a picture message.

I did manage to get a refund against my next bill but it beggars disbelief that this provider does this without any notice and to my knowledge is the only provider practicing this stealth charge.

I am seriously considering going elsewhere because ~I cannot sit there and count as I text and don't fancy a lengthy conversation with a customer support official rectifying this problem.

Come on Virgin !! You earn enough money and extorting more through an underhanded stealth charge is both wrong and underhanded.

V Townsend

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
caro1000
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ive been charged for Text Messages longer than 150 characters !!

As far as I am aware you have to sends your texts as SMS rather than MMS. This used to happen to me until I changed my settings now I can send a text of any length without getting charged for over 150 characters.
0 Kudos
vtownsend
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for that information. Ive disabled MMS in my iPhone messages settings.  Hope fully that will help.

But, I still think it is wrong for VM to charge this fee when many members on this forum have complained about the same thing.

Regards,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As far as I can tell, every UK carrier charges for MMS.

The conversion of SNS to MMS is a function of the phone, not the network. If 150char messages with no icons are being converted you must be using the wrong alphabet. My Samsung phone can send about 400chars before it converts.

If that was a problem, I'd just replace the messaging app, but it's actually a pretty nifty prompt for me to shut the hell up...

0 Kudos