Menu
chevrons2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is there any point staying loyal to Virgin

One of my phone contracts ends soon. Previously at this stage, Virgin has rung me, we've had a discussion about choices and I've ended up getting a deal that appears to be far better than if I went elsewhere. Great. This is the sort of service that I had got used to in the 15 or so years that I've been a Virgin customer.

However, this time was different.
Virgin phoned me, as expected. We discussed options and I settled on a particular package. I then did a little research and found that at least two other companies offered the same phone with a better package for less money. I phoned Virgin to explain why I had not gone ahead with their deal and asked whether they could match (or better) their competitors deals.
Without any discussion, the answer was no. I told them that, in that case, as the contract had not yet ended, I would consider my options over the remaining two months and, as things stood, I would go elsewhere.

Since then, Virgin have sent me 'special offers' of exactly the same package at the same price and today I received an offer suggesting that I upgrade "for loads of extras".
However, the package is exactly the same as the one that I have already rejected and is actually now more expensive than it was then, despite also suggesting that I can "upgrade early at no extra cost". Perhaps they meant to say "upgrade less early at an extra cost"!

I'm also rather annoyed about my tv/homephone/broadband package: I have just noticed that they have reduced my tv package and increased my bill without any warning or explanation whatsoever. Perhaps I'll start a seperate thread for that, or I may just leave.

I've been with Virgin for about 15 years. It appears that the things that have led to me being loyal for all this time are no longer part of Virgin's policies.

Helpful Answers
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Is there any point staying loyal to Virgin

chevrons2 wrote:
Do Virgin Customer Service personnel monitor these posts?

Usually takes 10-14 days for any actual VM employees to catch up with posts. You may not even get a reply at all, all depends on whether they are actually able to help, if not, posts just get left.

14 days is about the average time lately. Used to be 4-5, then 5-7, then 7-10. 

Personally, I think it is a deliberate ploy to stop people trying to get a response, or, that they hope someone from the community will supply the answer, so they don't have to bother....

0 Kudos

All Replies
chevrons2
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to the above:

After I phoned Virgin and told them that they were likely to lose me as a customer, they sent me an email, asking my to comment on my experience during that phonecall. I let them know how disappointed and dissatisfied I was. I have heard nothing since (apart from being sent the same uncompetitive offer again and then a more expensive version).

I just remembered that Virgin used to give you a better deal with your mobile, if you already had a broadband/tv/homephone package with them. I assumed that they must have stopped this, as they have stopped being competitive with what they've offered me.

However, I've just looked. Apparently they still do: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3333&CURRENT_C...

It says there: "If you’re an existing Virgin Media customer with any combination of our broadband, TV or phone services, here’s the good news -you automatically qualify for some exclusive mobile deals! You can check out all of our existing customer deals on our Customer offers page. Here’s a few you might be interested in: Pay Monthly mobile deals – lower tariffs, special offers on handsets plus......"

If this is the case, why do they offer exactly the same deals to new customers on their website, as they offered me, as an existing customer?: http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/pay-monthly-phones/samsung-galaxy-j3-white/samsung-...

0 Kudos
chevrons2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

chevrons2 wrote:

There is very light moderation from Virgin and this is a mainly customer to customer forum.

Someone may well pick it up, but I doubt you will get a quick answer

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

chevrons2 wrote:

Usually takes 10-14 days for any actual VM employees to catch up with posts. You may not even get a reply at all, all depends on whether they are actually able to help, if not, posts just get left.

14 days is about the average time lately. Used to be 4-5, then 5-7, then 7-10. 

Personally, I think it is a deliberate ploy to stop people trying to get a response, or, that they hope someone from the community will supply the answer, so they don't have to bother....

0 Kudos
chevrons2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks HughJarsse.

"Usually takes 10-14 days for any actual VM employees to catch up with posts. You may not even get a reply at all, all depends on whether they are actually able to help, if not, posts just get left. 14 days is about the average time lately. Used to be 4-5, then 5-7, then 7-10."

It seems that the decline in customer care, (that I have seen over the 15 years I have been a customer), is reflected here as well then.

"Personally, I think it is a deliberate ploy to stop people trying to get a response, or, that they hope someone from the community will supply the answer"

Well. It's working: You've given me the answer!: The answer is NO. There is no point in staying loyal to Virgin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi chevrons2, 

I am sorry to hear that the offer that was made for the new contract wasn’t what you wanted, unfortunately the guys in the upgrades team are only able to offer what packages and prices they have available on their system. 

If another provider has given you a better deal for exactly the same product and package, then it’s at your own discretion if you take this offer up or not. I know this isn’t the answer you where hoping to have, but the offer that was made to would have been the best they could have given you. 

Take care, 

Kelly 

0 Kudos
chevrons2
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kelly but what is really disappointing is that despite saying on the website that, as an existing broadband/tv customer, I would get a better deal, there was no better deal. I spoke to virgin yesterday and when I pointed out the relevant page on the website, they admitted that it was not actually true: there is only one deal available exclusively to existing customers and that deal, by their own admission, is not as good as the ones offered to everyone else.
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

chevrons2 wrote:
Thanks Kelly but what is really disappointing is that despite saying on the website that, as an existing broadband/tv customer, I would get a better deal, there was no better deal. I spoke to virgin yesterday and when I pointed out the relevant page on the website, they admitted that it was not actually true: there is only one deal available exclusively to existing customers and that deal, by their own admission, is not as good as the ones offered to everyone else.

Think the Trading Standards might be interested in this then...deliberate mis-information, misleading customers....

0 Kudos
chevrons2
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"Think the Trading Standards might be interested in this then...deliberate mis-information, misleading customers...."

Yes. It's strange that virgin aren't at all concerned. The person I spoke to on the phone agreed that it didn't appear to be concerned. I had to insist that he treat it as an official complaint, so that it is dealt with higher up. (I have heard nothing since. Not even any confirmation of my complaint).
0 Kudos