Menu
wishi
Up to speed
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is It Possible For Someone To Check the Mobile Service in the BS16 Area of Bristol?

Hi

For some weeks now me and my hubby have had terrible mobile reception at home. Our phones barely work at all downstairs, but seem better upstairs; however, our signals have been very weak. My husband uses Virgin, but I'm on EE. I reported the matter to EE, telling them my husband's network was affected as well, and after a 40 minute conversation they discovered some work being carried out in the Broomhill area, which was scheduled to be completed last night. They said Virgin users access the same mast in that area. When I checked the EE status this morning it had been updated to resolved.

Well, our signals are still poor and every so often my husband's network drops and he gets no network service. That issue doesn't appear to be affecting me now, but we still can't make calls unless we go upstairs!

I won't accept the Christmas tree light argument, either, because all this started before the tree went up!

The other thing is I asked a friend who is on EE. It seems because she's on 4G (we're on 3G) she gets a better reception anyway and she wasn't affected at all.

Has Virgin had any issues reported, please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Check the Mobile Service in the BS16 Area of Bristol?

What is happening, as well as introduction of 4G for EE customers, is rationalisation of the former Orange & T-Mobile 2G & 3G network base stations. This means some base stations now have altered capacity, or in some cases have been removed altogether. EE have tried to keep coverage uniform, but there is always scope for local issues to crop up in this situation.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

wishi
Up to speed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Check the Mobile Service in the BS16 Area of Bristol?

That's interesting and with your permission I will mention that to EE, who have said nothing about that. Doesn't explain why my feller is having problems, though

Are you saying that I might have to upgrade to 4G to get my phone to work properly in the future? My husband's phone is 4G ready but mine isn't; that said, is it right Virgin don't use 4G yet?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi, you are correct. Virgin don't use 4G yet.

AlexKid :-)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

wishi wrote:

That's interesting and with your permission I will mention that to EE, who have said nothing about that. Doesn't explain why my feller is having problems, though

Are you saying that I might have to upgrade to 4G to get my phone to work properly in the future? My husband's phone is 4G ready but mine isn't; that said, is it right Virgin don't use 4G yet?

You dont need my permission. I'm just another customer like you, making a suggestion as to what the issues are. Our area went through this process a couple of years ago. Thankfully it actually improved our reception.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to add some more to this thread.,  I have a personal phone on VM, and a works phone on Orange (part of EE), supposedly using the same signals as VM.

The works phone shows 5 bars signal, yet my own only shows 3??

The works phone loads mobile internet pages 1/3 faster than my own phone (both are H+ carrier) and tested side by side..

The works phone always has a H+ signal, no matter where about's I am, yet my own phone frequently has no signal or drops to 3G or even E despite works showing H+ and 2/3 bars!!

Now VM say that EE does NOT traffic manage , but this makes you wonder.....EE customers get the priority, VM get what's left over??

As an experiment, I swapped SIM's in my phones, and...whichever phone has the Orange sim in, gets the better signal, and faster loading...the one with VM SIM, poorer signal, slower loading...so it's NOT the phones!!  work that out if you can

(my own phone is 4G ready, BUT can't use it on VM , but it works a treat on Orange!!)

VM are trying to blame my own phone, but swapping SIM's and retesting proves that it is not, it is all down to EE/VM signal strength..(or lack of it Smiley Tongue)

wishi
Up to speed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HughJarsse wrote:

Just to add some more to this thread.,  I have a personal phone on VM, and a works phone on Orange (part of EE), supposedly using the same signals as VM.

The works phone shows 5 bars signal, yet my own only shows 3??

The works phone loads mobile internet pages 1/3 faster than my own phone (both are H+ carrier) and tested side by side..

The works phone always has a H+ signal, no matter where about's I am, yet my own phone frequently has no signal or drops to 3G or even E despite works showing H+ and 2/3 bars!!

Now VM say that EE does NOT traffic manage , but this makes you wonder.....EE customers get the priority, VM get what's left over??

As an experiment, I swapped SIM's in my phones, and...whichever phone has the Orange sim in, gets the better signal, and faster loading...the one with VM SIM, poorer signal, slower loading...so it's NOT the phones!!  work that out if you can

(my own phone is 4G ready, BUT can't use it on VM , but it works a treat on Orange!!)

VM are trying to blame my own phone, but swapping SIM's and retesting proves that it is not, it is all down to EE/VM signal strength..(or lack of it Smiley Tongue)

Interesting how the first thing they blame is the phone! Smiley Very Happy

Whaddya know, checked the EE status this morning for my postcode and there you go:

FaultLast Updated : 10:29 02/01/2016
Services affected There is an issue with a site in your area which may be affecting the service.
Current status Our engineers are working on restoring service as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
How long will it take to fix? We expect to have this issue fixed within three days.

So I'm not having a senior moment. Yesterday my network began to drop again.

Like HughJarsse I'm with Orange, but since it got into bed with EE it's been piddle poor. With my old Orange phone I went abroad and connected to a local mast straightaway; not with EE. It's pap. I could barely get a signal in Shetland this summer whereas my hubby could! Yet because EE have taken over practically every blasted service provider in the UK I don't have many options to move.

It's so ironic that his Virgin phone has a 4G ready SIM yet Virgin is nowhere near adopting the 4G. He's been trying to send a text to his brother since last night and it's still sending because the local network is so weak.

0 Kudos
wishi
Up to speed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well, this still hasn't been sorted out and I'm getting really fed up now! Smiley Mad

Rather than sit on the landline for 40 minutes calling EE again, I lost patience and went onto their Live Chat. I got the same flannel as last time: due to H&S reasons we can't fix the existing problem, we're waiting for a part to repair the problem. Should be done by the end of the week. The fault still isn't showing on their network checker, though! Smiley Mad

The H&S problem could be due to the Metrobus system they're building around that area, but why aren't they up front about the fact that there is still a problem? I'm still losing my network and my husband's Virgin network keeps going, too!

0 Kudos
wishi
Up to speed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This was resolved when EE finally admitted there was a problem and our networks have worked fine since!
0 Kudos
Bigga
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Glad you got it sorted Wishi, having same troubles where i am but no one will admit to there being a fault as of yet, i live in hope......

0 Kudos