Menu
c1ayton
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Iphone showing signal and 3G but unable to make calls when home

Hi,

For the past few weeks I have been having signal problems when I'm at home. Although my iphone shows 3/5 signal bars and 3G, I am unable to make or receive calls or texts. If I go to the carrier and deselect and then reselect Virgin, I am then able to make a call but shortly after it goes back to failing. When I'm away from home it all works fine.

My wife has an EE contract and she has none of this trouble at home which just confuses me even more. I don't really know what to do. Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Iphone showing signal and 3G but unable to make calls when home

Hi c1ayton,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear your experiencing call and text issues with your iPhone.

This does sound like a bit of strange one. Lets see if we can get this sorted.

I would say from what you've described it would be your handset. If your wife's phone is working fine and you get 3/5 signal bars on your phone then there should be no reason for the network to have any issues.

It could also be something has changed locally that's causing your iPhone to experience this glitch.

Are you able to try your SIM in another phone or another SIM in your phone. Simply for us to eliminate the SIM and handset.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi c1ayton,

Hope my post was of help to you. I've not heard back from you.

Did you mange to get this sorted.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Shopps
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S5.  Shows as 4-5 bar signal strength & registered on the Virgin network, I can text but cannot make any outbound or inbound calls, on option to leave a voicemail, phone call just disconnects before it connects!  this only happens at home

I have tried the usual stuff of restart, re-seat SIM etc, but no luck,  This has been n-going for almost 1 week now.

Is there a problem with the EE / Virgin mast?  Location is West Walton, Wisbech.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Shopps
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

Just an update but contacted Virgin & they have confirmed an issue with the mast in our area.  Nobody on EE or Virgin can make or receive calls since 4th July and is still on-going,  At least virgin gave me a free month refund because of this.

Unfortunately today the situation has got worse,  I now cannot connect to any mobile data,  The only way to make a call or message is over a 3rd party app such as Whatsapp, If I am not on WIFI then my phone is a good as a brick!

How can a mast be down for over 2 weeks?

0 Kudos
c1ayton
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your replies. Yes I've tried everything you have done too. Who did you ring to find out about the mast? Virgin or EE?

My wife is on EE but doesn't have the trouble I have. Is there some sort of switchover process which could affect Virgin but not EE?
0 Kudos
Magz
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have had countless issues with Virgin reliability going on for months now with calls/texts failing despite the phone showing full signal (shown by both the bars and the details in settings), I've tried new sims and new phone but still the problem persisted so I got an EE payg sim as an experiment and have carried 2 phones with me for the last couple of weeks, the phone with the Virgin sim has been as unreliable as ever but the phone with the EE sim has had no issues at all. I even swapped sims around in case it was a handset fault but got the same result.

Sadly no one seems to have any clue why this happens. Virgin tell me the network in my area is fine, which I think is true as the EE sim has no problems so why the issue with Virgin? It seems to be one of life's mysteries!

0 Kudos