Menu
saxonia
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Iphone 5S keeps using data when on wifi

Apologies if this has been asked before but my phone keeps using a small amount of data every hour throughout the night. Under the Recent Usage tab the phone appears to use data at the same mins past each hour from my allowance even though it has a very good wifi signal . For example last night it accessed data 0018, 0118, 0218, 0318, 0418, 0518 etc etc when I was asleep !!

Although these amounts are small I did manage to use all my date much quicker last month since using the new iphone5S compared to my old 4 where I never had this issue ?

I thought I had solved this issue last night by turning off "WiFi Assist" but it still seems to be happening

MTIA

Mike (Cardiff)

0 Kudos
PeteH
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Iphone 5S keeps using data when on wifi

Might be worth going to Settings/Mobile Data/System Services and seeing if there are any large amounts of data being used and where. In my case Push Notifications are fairly high but not worrying.

0 Kudos
chrispy1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Check to see if Wi-Fi Assist is turned on. Settings/Mobile Data scroll right to the bottom of page.
It uses the mobile data when the wi-fi is poor. Possible something happens and the router drops the signal and the phone automatically uses the mobile data.
0 Kudos
saxonia
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey thanks for that but I have turned that off and it still keeps using data unprompted when connected to wifi

0 Kudos
saxonia
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Pete .. I will look at that option

0 Kudos
saxonia
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

New Image zzz.JPG

Here is a picture showing the iphone 5S accessing the internet at the same mins past each hour through the night. The wifi provides a strong signal and wifi assist is off. I know amounts look small but I do see some quite big MBs go out on occasions. Any thoughts would be appreciated

MTIA

Mike

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey saxonia

Thanks for getting in touch and taking the time to join our community. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your handset using mobile data when it’s on Wi-Fi. Have you checked the background data settings on your handset? On the iPhone 5s you can do so by following these steps:

Access your phone's Settings.

Select General.

Background App Refresh should show here where you can disable the feature, you can also disable it for specific apps.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
rebeccaharwood
Just joined
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, 

I seem to be having this issue at the moment too. My data allocation is being decimated by small amounts of data used when my phone refreshes itself of its own accord  even when I am at work (not allowed it out in the classroom - doesn't set the right example) or when I'm asleep on a night. I have wifi assist switched off, background app refresh switched off for ALL apps and don't see anything suspiciously large in the system services. It seems a bit suspicious that this issue has occurred since I have paid off my iPhone and effectively halved my phone bill...now I find myself potentially having to buy more data. 

The guy I spoke to on the phone was rather unhelpful - switch your data off and just use wifi. All well and good but what's the point in having a smart phone if I can only use it at home?!?! Download an app to track how much data you are using...which surprise surprise also uses data.

Does anyone have a fix for this? Is it a virgin mobile issue? Or do I need to get in touch with Apple?

Help and advice appreciated.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi rebeccaharwood,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums.

As with all smartphones there can be data activity going on the background, even when you're not physically using the phone. This can be due to things such as the handset checking for any updates. It's great that you've switched off background refresh on all applications however this will not stop the phone connecting automatically completely, it will however reduce the amount of data used.

This could also be due to Push notifications on applications such as Facebook, Email accounts, Twitter etc.

The only way to stop this completely would be to turn off mobile data, however I do understand that this isn't the ideal solution. Although small amounts of data may be used by things such as this it should be minimal.

If you are concerned about the mobile data usage on your account you can keep track of your allowances on your online account and also through the My Account application.

Kind regards

Lucy

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
dscbrennan
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to this thread: my wife has been having exactly the same issue and only since switching to Virgin Mobile. Her phone is a Samsung on Android- so it isn't an iPhone 5s problem. I don't think it is actually a VM problem either (possibly just a coincidence). I have stopped the issue on hers by doing a few things: I have restricted all apps from using background data, I have stopped the PlayStore from upgrading automatically and changed to wifi only (perhaps it's the AppStore on yours?) and I also changed Instagram to use "less cellular data" as this seemed to be the main offender for data usage.

Since then it looks like hers has stopped.

0 Kudos