Menu
kw9403
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet connection speed problems

So about 6 months ago I had problems with the speed of my internet, looked like it was capped. Spent an hour on the phone to Virgin to try and sort the problem out, went through every setting on the phone including the actual connection ports etc. Eventually after all that work the person on the other end of the phone put me on hold, eventually hanging up after 2 minutes.

This happened back when I was on unlimited internet which due to financial reasons I had to stop using. Now I'm back on unlimited I am 9 days from my refresh and am having the same problem, dropping from about 2 m/s internet to 200kb/s. This has lasted almost 3 days now. It is also strangely coincidental this happens around the 2gb usage mark on the data.

Funnily enough last time it happened when I got my refresh the speeds returned to normal which makes me 90% sure I was capped. Also the employee stated to me on the phone that I was still not over my limit so fair usage doesn't come into the question.

I have actually created an account to explain this to other people and also look if anyone has had similar problems to me? I am open to any solutions that can be given by VM staff although if you didn't cover it in that hour phone call already I'd be very surprised. End of the day I don't think Virgin likes to honour the contracts and I have had a pretty bad time since joining them over 12 months ago, I would strongly reccomend people go elsewhere for contracts as Virgin is one of the most inconsistent providers I have ever been with.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet connection speed problems

Hi Kw9403,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry you've had some trouble with your internet speeds. It sounds like you've exceeded the fair usage policy. This would cause you to be limited to 2G speeds. This would be lifted at the end of the calendar month.

You can find more info on this here.

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
kw9403
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Typical Virgin Media, always the customers fault.

I am nowhere near and have checked online and on my phone to see how much data I have used.

Also if I had the same problem a few months back and they confirmed that I wasn't at my limit then it just proves you cap speeds. Unless you have any other explanation I haven't heard already?

If you read my whole post you'd of known I wasn't exceeding the fair usage unless you've brought it down from 3gb. You need to sort your system out so it stops capping people before they hit that usage limit, otherwise you're just exploiting customers. If you want to only give me 1GB of internet a month then charge me £10 less a month.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kw9403,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand where you're coming from here. Regardless of the limit displayed on the phone, it's essential we ensure the dair usage policy isn't in place before emabarking on other diagnostics. So we can take a closer look into this for you, give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789.

We're unable to view accounts over the forums due to DPA.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
kw9403
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Understand completely where you're coming from RE phone diagnostics but the same problem occurred last time and they said over the phone that I wasn't over the fair usage limit. There is no point now though as my allowances have been refreshed and it is working all the same again.

I won't be calling as I spent an hour on the phone last time going through all my phone settings with your staff and it resulted in them just hanging up on me as the problem was taking too long to solve presumably.

If it happens again this month I'll message back in here and you can advise steps from there
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No problem at all kw9403 Smiley Happy

Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos