Menu
hoodoogirl
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Internet connection gone in Colombia

Totally fed up at the moment and feeling let down by the Virgin mobile service. I have a sim only contract (switched from contract two years ago). I'm in Bogota at the moment. I was having to use my phone to sort things out as my passport was stolen on the second day of arrival. I get a text to say that I have reached a £36 limit for data roaming and if I wanted to continue I have to text YES to 23457. I do this as I need access to my phone especially after I decided not to use the TAPSI app in this country rather than rely on their buses which is where the theft happened. No internet - nothing. I was at the embassy yesterday trying to get an emergency passport and trying to sort out my emails and again could not access the internet. 

Could someone advise me as to what I should do. I have to go to the American embassy in a couple of hours about an emergency visa and have to show them emails sent to me from elsewhere and cannot do that either!

0 Kudos
hoodoogirl
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet connection gone in Colombia

I also needed to be able to use the Google translate voice app as my Spanish is not great!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi hoodoogirl,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that your services aren't working while while in Columbia. 

Checking this for you now, I can see that roaming is activated for you on the network. If you are still having problems please see the following post: HELP GUIDE - Mobile Data Roaming for Pay Monthly / SIMO Customers for further support--especially the APN settings section at the bottom of the post.

Please let me know how this goes for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
hoodoogirl
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Makes no difference as my APN setting is on Virgin media mobile account. I have been terribly let down by Virgin and all I have got from this experience is £75's worth of charges for data roaming when I have had no access since the text message  (on the 5th October) I got from you saying that I have reached my £36 limit and to continue to access mobile web I need to text YES to 23457 which I did. So each time I try to connect to the internet using data roaming and mobile data all I get for my attempts is a larger and larger phone bill. I have now had to submit a complaint. I have no problems paying for what I use, but I deeply resent paying for having no access since the 5th October ! I have to keep going to wi-fi spots which are very few and far between. If I am out all day I have to wait until I get home to use the hotel wi-fi. I can only phone people or text them and this is costing me more money! At the US embassy trying to sort out my emergency visa and standing at the entrance trying to show them a confirmation email they had sent for an appointment, the internet would not work (of course you charged me for the attempt) so then I had to phone a +447953967967 number to try and get help. A number which also cost me a fortune to phone from Colombia and the only help I go there was a suggestion from your customer services to turn my phone off and back on again!

I was crying as the embassy would not let me in without the email proof. (In the end a kind man let me access his internet on his phone so i could show the embassy my confirmed appointment).

The thing is that having undertaken a search online I can now see that roaming is a major issue for other customers of Virgin mobile in countries outside of Europe. I am now going to have to buy a Colombian smartphone so I can have some access whilst I am here. I should not have had to do this. Another point I want to make is that every single day when I go onto my mobile account - my charges have increased - yesterday they were £75 today they are £98 and all I did today is send about five texts today. The account is supposed to show up-to date charges but they very suspiciously keep increasing and I have taken screen shots of the account . Is it the case that by the time I get back home the charges will be £1000? Within 24 hours, the charges have increased by over £20 and I have stopped trying to use the internet and have only sent texts which are 30p each - how does that work out when I have sent about 5 texts in the last 24 hours?????. I am also supposed to have a £75 limit on my account, so obviously Virgin are looking to make thousands from me. I am now going to take the sim out of my card and break it up. I'll be interested to see if I will still be charged when there is no sim being used even for texts! Also not having an email address for people to be able to contact Virgin demonstrates you do not want to be contacted. Please do not tell me to ring Virgin mobile and incur more costs or use live chat which is very ineffectual. I have used live chat in the UK and it was like pulling teeth. No one ever helps there either. 

0 Kudos
hoodoogirl
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No reply? Great thanks for your non-help - Am I still supposed to trust Virgin mobile when I return to the UK. Incidentally I have just checked my charges on your website and as anticipated they have gone up again and I stopped trying to connect to the internet. Could someone please explain what is going on?? I am finding this very stressful and upsetting and feel as if Virgin are doing nothing to help me - nothing!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi hoodoogirl,

I have received your private message regarding your mobile billing.

I'm sorry to hear that you are receiving charges on your bill that you are unaware of and I can appreciate how stressful this is when you are travelling abroad. Due to the nature of the Community Forum, the Forum Team may not be able to respond to your post for 48 hours or more, so if you require immediate assistance, we recommend that you contact us direct by calling in on 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone) or 150 (free from a Virgin Media landline). You can also get in touch with us via WebChat: Contact Us and you can contact us when you're travelling abroad by calling +447953967967(call charges apply).

Also please check this page, which will show charges for services while in Columbia: Colombia Mobile Charges.

If you are not using your mobile data or making calls, then there should not be any charges. To verify that apps running in background are not connecting without your knowledge causing data usage charges, please make sure that you have turned off your mobile data access on your handset. If you want to disable roaming as well, you can log into Your Online Account, go to Plan and Device > Manage My Service > Going Abroad > Off. Just remember that if you need to make or receive calls or connect to the internet again while abroad, revisit this to switch it back on.

I have been able to check this for you, using your Forum details to access your account and I'm only able to see the unbilled amount, but not what the charges are for, as these are currently showing as unbilled. If you need to discuss the billing issue further, please get in touch by one of the methods I noted above. If you can't call in, please persevere with the WebChat option so that we can verify account security with you and access your full account details.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this causes. Please let us know how you get on with this.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos