Menu
Scallie1
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Internet charges when abroad

I have recently been abroad and as I was outside of the EU I have rattled up a bill of £111. I did not know that I was connected to roaming outside of the EU until I received a reminder I was over my £36 limit. I tried to contact virgin from abroad with no luck. I could not find an email address to try and resolve this problem and still can't find an email address of somebody to contact, not bad for a communications company. On my return tried to phone somebody only to get the most appalling customer service ever, the person would not let me explain my problem as they were constantly talking over me. I have had first hand dealings with off shore call centres and found that if its not on the script they can not answer. Can anybody help me details of somebody that will listen to me or an email address.

0 Kudos
Scallie1
Joining in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet charges when abroad

Should have stated this was Internet roaming charges that I have never requested when abroad as I use my laptop with wifi

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scallie1,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you have been billed for data roaming while abroad. Has this been checked for you?

Unfortunately, if any apps on the handset are set to connect via mobile data, this could incur charges as they can connect while running in the background without you being aware of this happening. 

If you would like for me to check into this, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Scallie1
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes please check this for me. Please can you tell me why this is the first time I have been abroad this has happened as its not the first time I have been outside of the EU. Also how it has happened with wifi switched off

thanks

0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You should probably post this in the "Virgin Mobile" section to get a proper response - this section is for landlines. Even so.... it's not wi-fi you need to turn off when using your mobile abroad, in fact quite the opposite as you should save any data-using for when you can connect to wifi (in the hotel or wherever). What you need to turn off to avoid unnecessary charges is data roaming on your phone, as smartphones are constantly using data even when you're not aware of it. 

0 Kudos
Scallie1
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Shows how good I am with all this stuff, I even put it on the wrong page, it does make life easier when you can pick up a phone and speak to somebody that listens and does not just go by the script. My biggest issue with this is that I travel abroad 3 or 4 times a year and have for the past 20 years and have never been charged for roaming as I have never requested it and as a rule get a text asking me if I want it and never do. The other issue I have is that I got a text to say that I had reached my £36 limit and to contact a number should I require more, that number was blocked from Cape Verde, only for the bill to rise to £110, who authorised my limit to be exceeded?

my final gripe is that having phone to try and sort this out I received texts asking how good they were and was my problem resolved all were 0 scores and no my problem was not sorted. You would have thought somebody would have been in touch to find out what the isssues were and sort things out, not the best way to retain loyal customers.

0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't know if you've posted again in the Virgin Mobile section - it might be worth a try to see if you get a response from somebody from Virgin - they can sometimes cut through the customer services b.s. and get things done for you. Without going into detail I think you need to be sure if it's data you've been charged for while you were abroad or calls. Virgin's charge for calls in Cape Verde seem to be 82p per minute so it would be quite easy to rack up a sizeable bill. Also if anyone calls you from the UK while you're away they only pay for the call as if you were still at home - you pick up the cost for the international part. In any case you would seem to have a valid complaint that somehow your £36 limit was lifted without your agreement. If necessary you can follow the complaints procedure as laid out by Virgin.
http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/media/pdf/Complaint_code_Jan_11.pdf
Hope you get it sorted.

0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

......the thread has miraculously moved to the Mobile section. Unless I was seeing things! Maybe something will happen now.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scallie1,

Sorry to hear that this hasn't been resolved for you. I can see that @Braby has been able to give you helpful advice about this.

I'll need to take more details in order to check into this for you, so I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team 

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scallie1,

Thank you for sending the requesting information via PM. The charges you mention are unbilled and I'm unable to view what the charges are for until the bill generates. Once the bill has generated I will be able to have look at what the charges are for and check on the network if the charges are valid or not.

It sounds like there may be apps, or your mobile OS, running updates via your mobile data connection in the background.

Please see the suggestions below for ways to manage your data usage:

• Use the Virgin Mobile Your Account app to keep track of your data usage balance (Install from your app store)
  • Login to Your Account online to view Recent Usage
  • Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > Monthly data limit > manually enter your package's limit
  • Settings > Data traffic management > Traffic reminder settings > When over monthly limit > select 'Disable mobile data'
  • Set up each of your apps, app store and OS to only update when connected through WiFi
  • Download a third party app that will track your data usage

Also, please see our online Help & Support pages: 

Once your bill has generated, I'll check on this and get back to you. 

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos