Menu
NewConny
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Internet abroad and Virgin shambles

I am reading through the posts in this forum and I feel that the answers by the support team are simply not good enough. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, and I have not ONCE been able to connect to the internet using a travel pass. Neither in France, nor in Germany, nor in Italy or Switzerland. In fact, except for when I was in China, my internet NEVER worked even outside of the EU (was in Canada just recently).

I am a scientist (hence not entirely stupid) travel a lot professionally and used to be with T-Mobile, but I switched to Virgin because we also have TV and broadband from you. I cannot count how often I have phoned 789 or the VERY expensive longer number from abroad. I have set up the phone for roaming (at the least I was told that it was), I have taken out and put back SIM card, battery and what not. Nothing works. I bought another  travel pass just recently - no luck. I never had these problems with my other provider, and I can only agree with another poster that this problem is Virgin specific.

You service is awful and I feel that I am being ripped off, as I also have accrued high phone charges when trying to solve the problem over the phone. You need to do something about this, because I can tell you that I will immediately get out of this contract once it runs out.

Conny

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet abroad and Virgin shambles

Hi Conny,

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you've had with this.

You mentioned that you're having trouble with data roaming, are you able to make any calls or send texts from the phone?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
NewConny
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Mat,

I am perfectly capable to make calls and send texts from abroad, but I cannot use the internet unless I sign on to a wireless.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Conny Smiley Happy

If Data Roaming is enabled on the phone, the cause can only be 2 different faults.

Either Data Roaming isn't enabled on our side ( We can check this out if you give us a call on +447953967967) or there is no 3G service where you're roaming currently.

If this hasn't worked in several locations, I believe Data Roaming may not be enabled on our side. Give us a call and we'll be more than happy to look into this for you.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
NewConny
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Mat

I am currently in Germany and I have phoned 789 before leaving. I have travel pass, and I have been told data roaming was set up andI have been happily surfing the Internet with another provider (T-mobile) . Internet is not working. Still.
The problem is with you.
Once back in the UK I will issue a complaint with the financial ombudsman because you are in breach of contract. I have paid for a service which I did not receive .

If I understand correctly, a great many of your customers have this problem. I will be able to use the comments in this forum as proof and I would like to hear from others. I am utterly frustrated and upset and I want to get out of this contract NOW.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi NewConny,

I want to look into this further for you.

I've sent a PM over so we can get on the case.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
NewConny
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Mat,

I am back home now an waiting for something to happen.

I have filled out the form you provided and sent it to you. Virgin has 14 days to respond before I start an official complaints process. It is utterly outrageous that Virgin provides a faulty service, and then asks their customers to phone an expensive telephone number from abroad (which is the only place the fault actually manifests - clever - eh?) where one has to go through multiple levels and has to wait for minutes unless one can even SPEAK to one of their clueless call centers who are somewhere in Asia, I guess -  and PAY for this. This is unacceptable. When I was with T-Mobile I have maybe spoken to their service center 5 times in as many years. I keep phoning these Virgins at least every two weeks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi NewConny,

Thanks for filling that in. We'll be in touch as soon as we can to get this sorted for you.

I understand your frustration and I want to make sure it's all sorted as soon as possible.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
NewConny
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I got an answer and now I am even more angry.

Are you trying to kid me?

Read this:

Thank you for your email regarding your EU data pass.

It is never nice to be without your mobile phone and especially such when you are in a foreign country and unsure about your surroundings and also would like to keep friends and family updated with your travels. For the lack of coverage you have received I apologise.

You can try to do a manual network search and put yourself on a different network. We have agreements with many networking inside and outside the EU. You can check the agreements we have in place here http://virg.co/roaming

Your mobile contract is with Virgin Media, a UK based network that operate in the territories of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. We can not guarantee full 100% coverage at all times in these regions and most definitely can't guarantee it in a foreign nation.

We have roaming agreements with many networks around the world and we always try to ensure our customers have coverage where ever they go however these are simply agreements. The cell sites, and their subsequent maintenance, are fully in the hands of the foreign networks not Virgin Media, (as previously mentioned a UK network) and as such can not be held accountable for their failure.

Wherever possible we try to communicate with customers in relation to any issues they may face in a foreign country prior to their departure overseas. However, again, we can only do this if our partner networks keep us abreast of any issues they have in their respective countries.

Due the issue being outside the purview of Virgin Media I am afraid I am not in a position to be able to offer you any compensation for the issues you have had, however once again I do apologise.

Should on your return to the UK have had no use of the pass I will arrange for a credit to be placed on your account to cover the cost.

I appreciate this is not the answer you are looking for however I trust this resolves the matter. Should you have any further questions or concerns then please do not hesitate to get back in touch.

Kind regards,

Matt Kemp

Virgin Media Social Team

here is my answer:

Dear Matt,

This answer is quite outrageous and I am not willing to give up on this. It is not as if I am travelling to some country at the hind end of Africa. Since I am with Virgin, I have travelled to Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France and Canada and I have NEVER been able to use the internet in ANY of these countries. EVER. Are you seriously trying to tell me that in all of these highly developed Western Nations there have always been "network problems" when I have been able to effortlessly connecting even on Reunion Island when being with another provider? This is ridiculous.

I have paid for a service that you have not delivered and I want a refund. You have also ripped me off by forcing me to make expensive calls from abroad without alleviating the problem.  Your company appears to be either hopelessly incompetent or outright cynical.

This is not about it "not being nice" to be without my Facebook bla and my buddies on the net. As a professional scientist, I need to be able to connect to the internet to stay in touch with my lab and my staff when I am travelling and you are making this impossible. I am forwarding the case to CISAS as I have now a paper trail. I have also screenshots from the support group showing that my case is not unique.

Is this seriously the way you conduct business?

C.Bonifer

SimonF15
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Did this ever get resolved? I am having issues in Portugal currently. Should I just give up!

0 Kudos