Menu
Hester
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

International dropped calls

I am in Canada - I phoned virgin to set up for calls and texts here with no data roaming. I cannot make calls and texts are intermittent - there is no customer service number I can access. I need to make family calls for family situations - what is the problem? why is there no help here?

I have the correct codes - calls are never connected and just drop.

Virgin - please help NOW.

0 Kudos
Hester
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: International dropped calls

Still no help!? I am supposed to be calling elderly relatives - virgin - where are you????

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hester,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues while roaming in Canada. Appreciate you've got important calls to family members to make.

I've got a feeling this potentially maybe an issue with the local network carrier you are connected to. Generally roaming will either work or it won't and you mentioned you've been able to send text messages although intermittently. 

You could still check roaming is active when you log into Your Account .

Click on plan and device

Click the tab manage services.

Make sure roaming is set to on here. If it isn't move the slider to on and click update. This will present you with a green success message. It may take up to 24hrs for this to go live on your account.

You can also check the call barring option to stop calls abroad isn't set to on.

You could also try the following steps if roaming is on:

Go into your phone settings and select a network manually.

Try removing your phone’s battery, while it’s still switched on – this helps reboot it and find a local network

If after these steps you are still experiencing difficulties give our mobile team a call on +447953967967 from a roaming handset or land line so we can take a further look into this for you.

Let me know how it goes.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Hester
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Stephen,

I have had to borrow a phone - not ideal. I am very very upset with virgin.

When I called up to speak with the virgin team in the Uk to set p my phone for this trip (I am still here for 2 weeks!) - I said - no data charges - and was advised to turn off roaming to prevent charges. I then asked if I can receive and send text and makes calls. I tripled checked this - the answer was yes.

So - now you are saying I have to put on roaming to send a text? My husband is with virgin and his phone does not require this.

I am leaving virgin when I return to the UK - unless you can prove that you are a company that cares about it's customers. Contradictory advice is terrible. Asking customers to fiddle with settings while away is terrible - the whole thing is a shambles in  my view.

If I make the changes you (exact opposite to what I was told on  the UK phonecall) - what will I be charged? Will I be liable for lots of costs as a result of roaming?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hester,

Thanks for your reply.

I can see where the confusion has occurred here.

Roaming needs to be active on your account to allow you to make calls and texts abroad. 

When you activate roaming all the services are enabled for you when travelling abroad.

Data roaming can be disabled by turning this function off on the handset so you don't end up incurring some unwanted charges when you are abroad.

I've included a link here to our handset guide. Please select your handset then click the relevant guide which should show you how to do this.

Hope this clarifies things.

Let me know if there's anything else you need.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos