Menu
curlyinspace
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

International Data Charges

Just returned from a holiday in Israel. Switched off data roaming on my iphone6 as I know how expensive it is to use virgin abroad. Received a message to say I was approaching my data allowance and checked on line to find that my data had switched on in the background and update my apps. In doing so I have incurred £161.13 of charges for using 32 mb  of data. Tried to resolve matter with customer services while abroad without success and have returned  with all of my services blocked for past two weeks as I am over the credit limit set for me. My bill isn't due until later this month. Seems unfair to be clobbered with such charges for an apparent error in allowing my roaming data to be reactivated!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: International Data Charges

Hi curlyinspace,

I would call again and point out that according to their own web page > Data Roaming Abroad.

It should not have been possible for you to unknowingly run up a bill above £36-.

That you have is an error on their part and therefore I would insist that your bill is amended accordingly.

"No alarms and no surprises with our data caps

We help you avoid unexpected mobile bills by capping your data use when roaming in non-EU countries to a maximum of £36.

After the £36 cap we’ll send you a text message asking if you’d like to continue using mobile data. If so, just give us a quick call and we’ll remove the cap so you can continue browsing, surfing, and posting selfies to social media."

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png

All Replies
enlli
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Quite honestly I don't think you will get far as the problem was your end. If you are lucky they may reduce the charge as a goodwill gesture. 

0 Kudos
curlyinspace
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou Enlli, Is there an email address I can use for customer services as I have got nowhere using the telephone complaints facility?

enlli wrote:

Quite honestly I don't think you will get far as the problem was your end. If you are lucky they may reduce the charge as a goodwill gesture. 

0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No - Virgin don't do email.

You can write 

Complaints,

Virgin Media,

PO Box 333,

Matrix Court,

Swansea, SA7 9ZJ

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi curlyinspace,

I would call again and point out that according to their own web page > Data Roaming Abroad.

It should not have been possible for you to unknowingly run up a bill above £36-.

That you have is an error on their part and therefore I would insist that your bill is amended accordingly.

"No alarms and no surprises with our data caps

We help you avoid unexpected mobile bills by capping your data use when roaming in non-EU countries to a maximum of £36.

After the £36 cap we’ll send you a text message asking if you’d like to continue using mobile data. If so, just give us a quick call and we’ll remove the cap so you can continue browsing, surfing, and posting selfies to social media."

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
curlyinspace
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Alexkid

0 Kudos