Menu
JT026
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

International Calls with minutes?

I received a phone call from a friend in Australia a few days ago and after asking them a couple of times they insisted it wouldn't cost anything...and it never. I was wondering if I could make the call to them instead of them making the call to me and if it would cost anything then? I have unlimited minutes if that makes a difference?

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: International Calls with minutes?

A call from your mobile to an Australian number would count as "out of tariff". It would cost 90p per min with a minimum charge of 1 min. See here.

JT026
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Okay thanks for the help. I was just wondering because we had a phone call a few days ago and there was no charge for it, I was just thinking if it was because of minutes or if the person calling had some sort of special allowance whilst they are over there.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean you want to call an Australian number? Or do you mean that you want to call somebody that is visiting Australia with a mobile that has a UK number. If the latter then your calls would come from your free minutes. If the former then your calls would be "out of tariff". Depending on the carrier your friend might incur roaming charges for receiving such a call.

Three have a scheme call "At home". This allows you to use your phone in certain countries as if it were still in the UK. So calls etc come out of the bundled allowances. Australia is on the list. So if the person in Australia has a UK Three mobile then it's possible they were calling you out of their UK bundled allowances.

JT026
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh I see, once again thanks for the help!!  I am unsure what the other person has with regards to 'phoning home' but I am pretty sure she has an Australian number as she as been there for several months now. I will most likely be asking them to phone me if it is not included in my tariff, I just don't want them to have a huge fee to pay whereas I do not. If the phone call cost her money would it of cost me as well because there is no charge to my account?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You could, of course, both install something like WhatsApp (over programs are available) and phone each other using that. If you were on wifi at the time it would cost you nothing.

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you both have reliable Wi-Fi then consider using Whatsapp. Asides from messaging you can make voice calls and they would be free at both ends. I've never tried Australia but calls to the USA work fine. It will also work over mobile data but quality is more variable and will use your data allowance.

Or try Skype. You can switch off the video to improve performance.

If you have a landline then check if there is an international call package available. EG BT's includes Australia and costs £7.50 per month.

Or try a pre-paid calling card.

Anything beats 90p a minute.

JT026
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, If I use something like Skype and have unlimited 3G allowance, would that work?

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

JT026 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, If I use something like Skype and have unlimited 3G allowance, would that work?

Yes. but remember that Virgin's Unlimited is capped in speed after 3.5gb and that might be too slow for Skype.

0 Kudos