At the end of November I purchased a Virgin Mobile sim card contract on an £8 monthly rollover deal through Car phone Warehouse. When I tried to use the phone Virgin told me the Sim was "P.A.Y.G." an CW had got it wrong.
I confirmed with CW that Virgin was wrong and after 2 calls to Virgin from them and 2 weeks of delay, the sim was activated. No apology of course.
It was a new number and the holidays were now started so I continued to use my old sim and phone. Whenever I charged up the unused phone I found there were missed calls. I had never shared the number.
Next I got an email giving a completely different person as the account holder for that number. This was when the insane catch 2 experience began. Over 2 weeks and dozens of calls to Customer Services, constantly disconnected mysteriously so that I had to redial and find myself connected to a new so called advisor, I finally gave up.
In a nutshell, on each occasion I was told I had to get the permission of the account holder to discuss the account. No matter how many times I pointed out that Virgin had made an error in their database and it was their duty to correct it, they returned to the same impossible demand.
I quoted my contract to them, I got CW to confirm it independently (as usual anyone but Virgin must have been at fault, nothing worked. This refusal to correct data errors on reasonable evidence of eror is a clear breach of the Data Protection Act, in my opinion.
I have cancelled my direct debit due later this month and removed the sim in favour of a sim on a similar contract from Plusnet. It worked instantly.
The latest email to my email address from Virgin Mobile is quoting a debt of over £60 for a phone that has only been used to phone your helpline, because they are unable to access my (or maybe the other person's, who knows) direct debit. How did this debt arise?
Well the account is not mine, so I will not be paying. However, I am owed £24 by Virgin Mobile for 3 months of wasted time.
I intended to take this directly to your Data Controller, but you appear not to have one recorded on your company details. What a surprise!
Yes. I have my copy of the printout from the computer. All details were entered in my presence. The printout shows a customer agreement with Virgin Media, in my name and my address. Additionally, when Virgin originally claimed there was no contract, Carphone Warehouse customer service spoke directly to them about this contract and Virgin implemented the contract exactly as signed and agreed by myself at Carphone Warehouse.
There seems to me to be no question that the errors are Virgin's fault. I have tried to get your call centre's to listen to the evidence, but they simply refused to do so.
I was going to mark this answer as helpful, which it is, and the thread was at once marked "Solved". Helpful is one thing, Virgin, Solved is another. Neither my original complaint or my simple request to the Forum Moderators for a name and address they should have at their fingertips, has been answered. It was helpful to know the forum is not attended to by the moderators with diligence compared to Facebook and Twitter feeds.