Menu
DirtyNorris
Tuning in
Message 1 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Ingress - Very poor game performance Virgin Mobile recently

Hello - I play Ingress (for those who don't know, a game developed by Niantic and Google, which involves travelling to and capturing portals for your faction) on Virgin Mobile 3G. It usually works OK, but for the last few days (possibly since Thursday). the game performance on Virgin Mobile (at least in the FY8 postcode area) has been dreadful - the game is online, so every action requires a communication back to the server. However, as far as I can tell the Mobile Internet is working OK. I have game colleagues who are also on Virgin Mobile who also report the same problems recently.

Are there any other Ingress players on Virgin Mobile also recently having problems?

Has Virgin made any configuration changes that would especially impact Ingress gameplay?

Tags (1)
Nedward
Joining in
Message 2 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ingress - Very poor game performance Virgin Mobile recently

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Mobile data appears to work for everything except into the game of ingress. We need virgin to make this right again. I have been having issues with the game of ingress since Wednesday. I'm in the Bolton area normally but also travelled to Haydock on Thursday and Friday and today I'm in worksop and my ingress data us not working as it used to. Something has definitely changed. Several of my ingress friends who are also on virgin mobile have reported that they too have the same issues.
Please help. We are at a disadvantage in the game and it is very frustrating.
IvorBiggone
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 100
Flag for a moderator

hi im a ingress player also..phone mobile help no idea whats happening there but nothing unusual

andycat
Tuning in
Message 4 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same here, all services work as expected, besides Ingress. When on Wifi or tethered to a 3 Sim, all is fine. But using Virgin has been very unreliable since Wednesday this week.

I travel all over the North  of the UK and it has been the same everywhere.

Makes the game unplayable, different provider may be beckoning!

Tags (1)
IvorBiggone
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 100
Flag for a moderator

thinking same tbh
Tags (1)
jamesishere
Joining in
Message 6 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same for me - really slow all over London for the game, but everything else is fine. Smiley Sad

marfie
Tuning in
Message 7 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Over the last few days there have been many times when the response in Ingress is so poor it is unplayable. This is in the Bradford and Leeds area. I don't bother phoning because going throughall the - what postcodes, please restart, please take your battery out, we'll send you a new SIM, we don't support 3rd party apps etc is so painful. I'm on a 30 day SIM only contract so I am giving serious consideration to move unless VM can give a suitable explanation and fix ETA.
Tags (1)
Paulpebbles
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 100
Flag for a moderator

I am in agreement , ingress is basically broken, have virgin answered anyone yet?

Ezudane
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Same here- from Wednesday last week. It's ok shortly after after starting and then I'm hit by 30 second wait between actions. I'm considering going to EE if this isn't sorted so I get a 4G connection.

I did call the Virgin Media about it and all they could say was my account was fine and there was a mast down in my area but that wouldn't affect it.

Over Wifi seems fine. Our busses have WIFI on them and I've had no problems there, or when connected to the cloud wifi serve. But on foot using 3G unless it;s really late at night is a real problem right now.

Perhaps it's a packet loss problem? Is there a way to ping/traceroute Ingress from our phones?

Tags (1)
ElizaM
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 100
Flag for a moderator

Same here, I live in Kent, the game is so slow it is almost unplayable. My son plays alongside, he is with Orange, and the game works well on his phone. I have tried a factory reset on my phone (moto g) which is working well with everything else, no difference. Luckily contract has ended, but apart from this I was happy with Virgin. Wont hesitate to move though, if this isn't fixed.
Tags (1)