Menu
mja243
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Increased data usage since Windows 10 Upgrade

For the first time in ages I've had the 'you have used more than 75% of your monthly data' alert text. When I look at my current usage and previous two bills it looks as though the data usage each day has increased since I upgraded my Lumia 640 to Windows 10.  I didn't change any settings or install any additional apps (although several apps had to be updated to new versions and some -- like Data Sense - aren't there any more. Does Windows 10 change any settings, or are there app changes, which might increase the amount of data used - the data downloads appear at regular intervals on my usage history which makes me think it could be outlook / mail syncing every 2 hours but why would it be downloading a lot more data now than two months ago?

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Increased data usage since Windows 10 Upgrade

I suspect that windows 10 has changed your wifi settings and switched wifi of late. If goth to early morning, that the time lots of updates happen, so changing wifi so it stays on over night should resolve this for you.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good Afternoon mja243, 

Sorry to hear that keeping your device up to data has caused you to see an increase in your mobile data.

Naturally different operating systems use different amounts of data due to the methods they use to download information. 

May I ask, are you seeing more data being consumed within the same time periods or are you finding that data is being used outside of hours that it usually would not? When for example you believe it should have been connected to WiFi networks?

I look forward to hearing from you soon Smiley Happy

Thanks 

Mike 

0 Kudos
mja243
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It looks as though it's a general increase across the day, I've charted the usage by day from my September bill (August 13th to September 12th), October Bill and November billing period to date.  September cumulative is matched by October cumulative until Windows 10 was installed and then the usage increases and stays higher through to end of October billing period and in November billing period. Last week I went into options and turned off background data usage.  The other thing's I've changed since November 4th are disconnect one of my email accounts and take off facebook contact and events sync which seem to be 'new' things since the App updated in Windows 10

Daily Usage (by Day & Cumulative)Daily Usage (by Day & Cumulative)

Daily Usage (by Day & Cumulative)Daily Usage (by Day & Cumulative)Hourly Usage Progfile across Monthly Billing PeriodHourly Usage Progfile across Monthly Billing Period

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Facebook can eat the date , does you phone no have the option to show data usage by app?
On android it's
Settings
Wireless and networks
...more
Data usage
Scroll down, lists all apps that have used data from the last allowance refresh ( set by me)

Hope it helps, I like the graphs Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cheers mja243 thanks for supplying the information in great detail, always helps us out. 

I have been trying to do a bit of research to see what may be causing it and there doesn't appear to be one specific reason as to why it is being used. Just going by other forums and articles it looks like there may just be changes to the way that the operating system runs on a day to day basis. 

J0hn mentioned sorting it by App, that's likely going to help us a bit more as we should then be able to see what the culprit is. I found a link that may help you view it by App if that helps. Check it out [Here] from WPXBOX. 

This may also be worth a read:

http://wccftech.com/how-to-limit-data-usage-on-windows-10-mobile-devices/

Let me know how you get on

Thanks 

Mike