Menu
twinflameskiss
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Incorrectly disconnected by Virgin Mobile

As its near impossible to get anywhere over the phone, I'd just like to register my disgust at how I was treated by Virgin today.

I upgraded my handset and signed up for a 24mth plan last week. When I received my new handset and sim, I sent off the READY text and the reply said there was a problem and I had to ring up. To cut a long story short, tech support told me on the phone this morning the sim was faulty and would send a new one out. Ok, no problem.

Then later this morning I received a call from a private number, who didnt leave a voice message, and immediately afterwards my phone was disconnected and has been ever since.

I rang up tonight and was told (by Virgin Phillipino call centre), the new sim that has been posted was activated before it was sent causing my old sim to be deactivated, and they cant do anything about it and I'll just have to wait a few days until I receive the new sim. They said there was no record of who deactivated it (- absolute crap as I work on IT systems and every change is audited), but then had the gall to state it was not deactivated at their end and must have been 'customer initiated', insinuating I had disconnected my own service.

Well thanks Virgin. I have to go into hospital on Wednesday for a heart condition and had calls to make, and receive, before then, but have now been left with no mobile service at all for the next few days. What if I had been a invalid pensioner? What if I had been running a business that depended on having a mobile? What if I had been a 9 months pregnant single parent? Idiots and should be called out for utterly rubbish customer service.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incorrectly disconnected by Virgin Mobile

Hi twinflameskiss

I could fully understand how frustrating this must be

When the new sim card is activated there can be a period where the old sim card would be inactive whilst the new one is being activated on Virgins network

If the new sim card was sent out already activated for you then im afraid its a waiting game until you get the new sim

Virgin cannot reactive the old sim card as the new sim card would take over.

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
twinflameskiss
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"there can be a period where the old sim card would be inactive whilst the new one is being activated". That doesn't make sense in the context of what I described.

You have the READY service where customers txt READY to 789678 when they have received their new handset and sim, and it activates the new sim and deactivates the old sim. I assume its called 'READY' so that customers then switch their phones over when they are 'ready'. We have used it before. I don't know what you're trying to say, other than you didn't read my post very closely.

In this case my sim was faulty and needed a new one sent out and VIRGIN staff must have decided to activate it before sending it, thus deactivating my current (working) one and rendering me without any phone service at all since. Did they ask if it was ok to do that first? No. You just cut me off and left me without a phone for the last 2 days, and have done nothing but try and make excuses for it since, even try and say it was my fault, rather than admit Virgin did the wrong thing.

So, no, you haven't answered my issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi twinflameskiss

I'm massively sorry to learn about the trouble you're experiencing with your phone service at the moment. 

I wish there was more I could do to speed this process up, but as you've mentioned the next step is to wait for a new SIM card to arrive. I'd like to take a closer look from our end at exactly how this happened, so I can feed it back for you. 

To allow me to do so, could you respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information? You can view the message by clicking the purple envelope on the top right of this page.

I'm sorry again for the inconvenience this is causing, we'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
twinflameskiss
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That would be good, and was my objective. I was in hospital yesterday, but have my 2nd new sim now, which is working. I posted to try and prevent it happening again to others. I realised that disconnecting someones mobile unecessarily and prematurely could leave them unable to make a call in an emergency. There was no need to disconnect my current (working) sim before Virgin has posted a 2nd new one. 

The problem was due to the tech support staff I spoke to on the morning of Monday 18 January when I reported the 1st new sim card I received was faulty. I believe they activated the 2nd new sim before posting it, thus disconnecting my current (working) one, without even checking if it was okay to do that, and left me with no service.

So, I don't really know who you are, and in your private message you are asking for my contact details, do you work for Virgin?

regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Craig_D is official forum staff .
Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I do work for Virgin. Thanks to Lee for confirming that tooMan Happy

I'm glad to hear that it's been sorted since your initial post and thank you for taking the time to write all this, to help others in potential similar situations. I'd like to do the same and find out how this happened, so we can be sure it's not something that continues. 

I really appreciate the time you've taken

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos