Menu
chylowen
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Incorrect Billing

I have noticed that my bill has suffered a 44% increase this month - when I looked closer at the bill I realised that this was due to a large number of picture messages being sent.

Now I couldn't remember sending any picture messages - i normally upload to social media/online storage and that would come under data.

So I checked the phone numbers displayed on the bill and cross-referenced the date and timestamps and realised something rather shocking: (big reveal coming up)

These weren't picture messages at all, but in fact normal text messages that had been sent to more than one recipient! I completely understand that sending a text to 2 people should cost you 2 texts in you contract limit, but this should definitely not be classed as a picture message in the bill!

Who can help me in getting my bill corrected as I don't want to be charged 44% more than I should!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incorrect Billing

Hi chylowen,

a lot of phones send SMS (text messages) as MMS (Picture messages) if they go over the 160 letter limit. – Therefore as has happened, you’ll be charged for it.

It will also convert if you send the message to too many recipients, or if the message contains an attachment.

Depending on the phone you have it might be possible to turn this off so large messages do not send over MMS.
Although I realize this is a little late for you now but may help prevent it happening again in the future.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
chylowen
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Forgive me - but that's hardly a satisfactory answer - If a message being sent to 3 people instead of one is classed as a different type of message and subject to different billing conditions, it needs to be clearly stated (which it isn't) and I need to be made aware of it (which I wasn't) - so i ask again; how do I get these incorrectly applied charges removed from my bill?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi chylowen,

forgive me if my answer didn't satisfy you.
I was merely trying to explain how this change from SMS to MMS and subsequent charge might come about Smiley Happy

It's not just a Virgin Mobile thing. It's standard across all networks.
Here is a useful guide, actually on the O2 website: How can I stop my text messages being sent as a MMS

If you think you have been unfairly charged, then I can only advise you to give the Virgin mobile team a call on 789 from your Virgin mobile or 0345 6000 789 from any other phone & put your case to them. 

Let us know how you get on Smiley Happy

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
chylowen
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Whilst I still dont agree that i have been billed correctly (or fairly) thank you for your reply - i assumed you were a representitive of virgin - my usual course of action with virgin employees is to state the facts and when i dont get an answer (which is everytime) i then get **bleep**ty. I'll give them a ring and see if they are any use - but i dont have enough time to do it now - i have to go to work in 12 hours and cant spend all of it on hold.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

AlexKid is right. 

Most likely your phone will have converted the messages to MMS before sending hence the charge.

If you want to send long messages or send messages to a group why not use a messenger app like WatsApp.

I often send messages to my three daughters that way - even with pictures. I find it much better and no extra charges as it comes out of my data allowance.

0 Kudos