Menu
sadams1980
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

In the middle of a contract phone dead.

Hello,

Right I am in a pickle.  I have been with Virgin Mobile, since 2006 and have always had good service from them.  My current contract runs until March 2017, but the Nokia Lumia 735 has died.  My girlfriend is pregnant and at home, so I need a phone desperately and just about get by on our current bills so we can't afford much.

Today I phoned up Virgin to see if there was anything we could do with regards to me getting a replacement (i didn't want another windows phone, as I had nothing but trouble so was looking at android), unfortunately I was told I either had to cancel my contract (£120 - not going to happen we just cant afford that) or I could take out a second contract alongside my existing one, get a new phone and pay for them both (not going to happen either, we just get by each month).

Now I know alot of people have sob stories, but short of buying a cheap phone off amazon or eBay, does anyone have any recommendations of what I can do or if a nice Virgin rep can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated?

Many thanks

Sean

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: In the middle of a contract phone dead.

I'll try to be pragmatic since money is not bursting out your wallet...

Has the phone just stopped working or has it been damaged in some way?
Assuming the former, since the battery is removeable pop it out and check it's not deformed. Also try a different charger / usb port and cable.

If the phone isn't damaged and within the 24 month warranty ask for it to be repaired.

Other than that, picking up a cheap temporary phone (i.e. from Argos, et al) might be your best option - any of your friends have a compatible old phone that they might give/lend/sell you? Or do you have an old phone in a drawer yourself?

All Replies
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'll try to be pragmatic since money is not bursting out your wallet...

Has the phone just stopped working or has it been damaged in some way?
Assuming the former, since the battery is removeable pop it out and check it's not deformed. Also try a different charger / usb port and cable.

If the phone isn't damaged and within the 24 month warranty ask for it to be repaired.

Other than that, picking up a cheap temporary phone (i.e. from Argos, et al) might be your best option - any of your friends have a compatible old phone that they might give/lend/sell you? Or do you have an old phone in a drawer yourself?
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear that your Nokia Lumia 735 has stopped working. 

Mike_M has given great advice about this, so there isn't anything that I can add. If the phone is still within warranty or covered by insurance get back in touch on 789 or 0345 6000 789 or via WebChat: Contact Us to discuss this further.

Please let us know how this goes.

All the best to you and your girlfriend,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos