Menu
theoldmouse
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In Japan - emergency calls only

I have a new Samsung phone from Virgin Mobile. I was assured it would work for phone calls in Japan with the plan I have. The calls will cost extra above the plan - I know this.
It is working fine in the UK but now I am in Japan its says "Emergency calls only".
What do I have to do to get it to work here ?
Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: In Japan - emergency calls only

Hi theoldmouse,

Log in to your account > click on  the "Plan and device" tab from the row near the top of the page.

Go to "Manage my services" check that "Roaming" is ON & "International call barring" is OFF

If this was your problem and you have to change the setting. Allow time for your account to update then reboot your phone by turning it off & on again.

If you are still unable to use your phone you could consider borrowing one or use a pay phone to give Virgin Mobile UK support line a call on: +447953 967 967 and see if they are able to help

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi theoldmouse,

Log in to your account > click on  the "Plan and device" tab from the row near the top of the page.

Go to "Manage my services" check that "Roaming" is ON & "International call barring" is OFF

If this was your problem and you have to change the setting. Allow time for your account to update then reboot your phone by turning it off & on again.

If you are still unable to use your phone you could consider borrowing one or use a pay phone to give Virgin Mobile UK support line a call on: +447953 967 967 and see if they are able to help

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

theoldmouse
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the response Alex.

International calls weren't barred but Roaming was "Off". I turned it on 3 hours ago but no luck yet - I will be patient.

I have checked my Plan and it shows Japan as one of the countries in which I should be able to use the phone - I am not keen to call the UK to sort this out as calls cost £2 per minute ! I will try and use the on-line chat service although that was unavailable all through yesterday, UK working time :-(

Martin

0 Kudos
theoldmouse
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In passing, the only means I have (at the moment) of contacting Virgin Mobile is by the Chat service. But from 8am precisely, when it opens, it says "All of our agents are currently busy. Please try again later." and seems to stay like that.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi theoldmouse,

Thanks for stopping by and posting. I deeply apologise for the phone not working in Japan. I appreciate it's important to get this working to be able to contact friends and family back home.

Whenever you change something on your online account it can take 2-24 hours for the changes to take place. You may also be required to restart the handset. How are things looking now?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
theoldmouse
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Rich, and the concern - both much appreciated.

The account change was made 4 days ago. The phone still says "Emergency calls only" and this message remains after a power-down - I did that again just a moment ago.

If it helps, that message is the same wherever I am located so I guess it is not a network-specific issue.

I was advised to try removing the battery whilst the phone was turned on but this model doesn't have a removable battery.

Martin

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Martin. I'm disappointed to hear it's still not connecting to a network.

I'm going to send you a private message to discuss some more options. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Look forward to your response.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
theoldmouse
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rich - I see no envelope ?

0 Kudos