Menu
carlyhellen
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IMEI

Hi. So, I took out a new contract almost a year ago. My phone has been away for repair twice, and returned twice, still not working. Reason being is the IMEI numbers don't match. This was supposedly a new phone? It is possible I have been given a refurb? I'm so annoyed, virgin no help and I'm still without a phone!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: IMEI

If the IMEI is different, you didn't get your old phone back.

Someone from the @ForumTeam will be along shortly to guide you through a remedial course of action.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Carlyhellen

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry to learn about the inconvenience you're experiencing recently.

I've been able to locate your account and can see that our team have spoken to you about registering the IMEI and can see you've had this issue escalated.

I'd love the hear how things go, we'll be here should you need any assistance moving forward.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
carlyhellen
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just thought i would update.  So, after zero contact from anybody, i emailed the CEO.  They took a few details and somebody called back.  It turns out the IMEI number in the phone is one which does not belong to them.  They would not divulge who or what it belongs to but instead offered me £25 as a gesture of goodwill and wanted to close the complaint.  I refused and said i wanted to escalate it furthur.  I then phoned LG.  The chap i spoke to told me that the IMEI number on the box the phone came in, has as some point been in for a major repair.  He also said that he assumes this is why the IMEI number in the phone is different.  He suggested i called Trading Standards and Citizens Advice as i have clearly been sold a reconditioned handset.  I will be doing this first thing tomorrow morning.  I am sick of it to be honest! I am paying for a service i havent been able to use for a month!!! Anyone reading this, go elsewhere for a contract, i urge you.  I feel like they think i am trying to pull a fast one and send them a different handset.  I cant wait to get to the bottom of this and i expect a sincere apology.  Please check the IMEI numbers on phones/boxes people, would hate for this to happen to anyone else! 

0 Kudos
Enceladus1
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In the UK (and elsewhere) altering the IMEI on any phone is a criminal offence. So presumably the system board was changed with a salvaged board when the phone was in for the "major repair". In which case the phone cannot be considered new by any stretch of the imagination.

Have you confirmed for yourself that the IMEI doesn't match the box? Input *#06# on the dialer and it should show you the IMEI actually in the phone. If the phone doesn't work at all then the IMEI should be on a label somewhere under the cover.

0 Kudos
carlyhellen
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I cannot turn the phone on, but the number under the battery is different to the number on the box.  

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

When phones go in for repair they are sometimes exchanged for a different not new phone as per the contract sadly Smiley Sad

It seems you have in error received a phone from a different network, the repair companies can and do repair for different networks in the same location. It's a rare event but that does not help you.
I would contact them again and ask for and upgraded replacement.
0 Kudos
carlyhellen
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply John. On both occasions it's been in for repair, it's defiantly the same phone that's been returned due to it having a small crack on one side. Virgin have confirmed nothing was done on either occasion. It was almost certainly never, a brand new phone.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Enceladus1 wrote:

In the UK (and elsewhere) altering the IMEI on any phone is a criminal offence...

Which law is being broken?

0 Kudos