Menu
Granddad2
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I want to use my phone in Spian what is the procedure.

I went to Spain in June . When I tried to use my Virgin mobile phone, a Apple iPhone 6, my net work switched to Orange and the automated women spokesperson said this phone isn't authorised to be used. It went on to say dial a three digit number but when I tried that the same automated message came on saying this phone isn't authorised so I couldn't use my phone for the whole week I was there. i was very annoyed with Virgin because I had rung them up before hand to make sure I was doing the right thing but they must have told me wrong. Who knows what the procedure is as my friend had the same problem with Virgin when he went to Spain recently.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I want to use my phone in Spian what is the procedure.

Hi Granddad2,

Sorry to hear you had difficulties using your mobile phone while in Spain.

You mentioned you checked roaming was active before you went. I would recommend checking your settings online as the message you had suggests either it isn't active or barring is in effect.

Please log into Your Account > Click on plan and device > Click the tab manage services.

Make sure roaming is set to on here. If it isn't move the slider to on and click update. This will present you with a green success message. It may take up to 24hrs for this to go live on your account.

The call barring option to stop calls abroad is also in this section so make sure it isn't set to on.

If after these steps you are still experience difficulties give our mobile team a call on +44345 600 789 so we can check this again for you.

Let me know how it goes.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
glenda76
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have the same issue in Ireland. I go over quite often. Call several times and even bought a "roaming package". I get calls but never get data. I've tried so many times calling beforehand and checking my account.

Roaming is activated but still can't get a data connection. I'm pretty techy and know how to set up phones, but get every time that "I need to set up the phone" while in Ireland. I've tried all the correct setups and more. Still no luck.

The only advice I get is ring 789 while I'm in Ireland. Obviously I don't want to call from there, spend time away trying to sort it out and I assume that from abroad would end up paying a lot to call. 

Good luck. I only share this as a warning not to get your hopes up. I have given up and resigned to it. 

0 Kudos

All Replies
Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It appears that VM are having major issues with their call and data roaming systems but are not prepared to admit it....even the moderators.seem to have disappeared from here! Try theteam@virginmobile.com but be prepared response times seem to be over 24hrs per email.

Good luck and please.post any new.information you gain
Andrew
0 Kudos
Granddad2
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Andrew I know what you mean about the response times. Will keep you informed of any info I get regarding this issue.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Granddad2,

Sorry to hear you had difficulties using your mobile phone while in Spain.

You mentioned you checked roaming was active before you went. I would recommend checking your settings online as the message you had suggests either it isn't active or barring is in effect.

Please log into Your Account > Click on plan and device > Click the tab manage services.

Make sure roaming is set to on here. If it isn't move the slider to on and click update. This will present you with a green success message. It may take up to 24hrs for this to go live on your account.

The call barring option to stop calls abroad is also in this section so make sure it isn't set to on.

If after these steps you are still experience difficulties give our mobile team a call on +44345 600 789 so we can check this again for you.

Let me know how it goes.

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
glenda76
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have the same issue in Ireland. I go over quite often. Call several times and even bought a "roaming package". I get calls but never get data. I've tried so many times calling beforehand and checking my account.

Roaming is activated but still can't get a data connection. I'm pretty techy and know how to set up phones, but get every time that "I need to set up the phone" while in Ireland. I've tried all the correct setups and more. Still no luck.

The only advice I get is ring 789 while I'm in Ireland. Obviously I don't want to call from there, spend time away trying to sort it out and I assume that from abroad would end up paying a lot to call. 

Good luck. I only share this as a warning not to get your hopes up. I have given up and resigned to it. 

0 Kudos
Granddad2
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks glenda76 I appreciate your answer and if it doesn't work when I go away in October I will think of changing to another mobile network that does work abroad.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Glenda76,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you're having issues with Data roaming in Ireland. I want to get this all sorted for you. Is data roaming enabled in your phone?

If so, give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and we can run thorough tests on our network to make sure this is fixed for you as soon as possible.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
glenda76
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat

Been there, done that. Everything been checked and activated. Did all the checks before going with your technical support team and did hard reboots and manual network searches while over there. Only thing I haven't done is call while actually in Ireland. Obviously not really that keen to call from my mobile whilst abroad! Let alone spend my time away trying to sort it out.

Good luck Granddad2. Hope it works better for you.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Glenda76 Smiley Happy

I can understand your frustration here. What we'd mainly like to check is that EE, our network partner is also allowing the phone to roam while abroad. We can check this over the phone for you to ensure that you never have the issue again.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos