Menu
Richardjordan19
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I want to place a bar on receiving premium SMS text messages

I want to place a bar on my account on receiving premium rate SMS messages.

i know I can reply STOP but this only block the individual company and very often doesn't work.

Tesco mobile, vodafone and Orange are all able to do this without issue but customer services at virgin mobile can't.

unless these are blocked then it gives carte Blanche for fraudsters to empty your bank account

please help

Tags (1)
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: I want to place a bar on receiving premium SMS text messages

Richardjordan19 wrote:

Tesco mobile, vodafone and Orange are all able to do this without issue but customer services at virgin mobile can't.

The solution to this problem is to switch to Tesco, Vodafone or Orange.

Premium texts are a revenue stream - it is not in Virgin's interest to deny their transmission.

Virgin have a credit limit which is designed to protect Virgin, not their customer. Mine is set at £600 even though my package includes all the text, data and minutes I ever use - so I'd prefer a credit limit of £0 but they "can't do that".

Not really a problem, though. I have the time to pursue any malicious overcharging if the need arises.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Richardjordan19,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that you're having some trouble with premium SMS numbers. I'm afraid it's not possible for us to do this.

If you ever get Premium messages, feel free to pop a post on here with the premium number and I can provide you with some advice.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
frogesque
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The reply from Virgin Forum is a nonsense. Of course it is POSSIBLE for Virgin to block premium rate texts - they just don't want to kill the cashcow.

Virgin are the provider, if they allow premium rate opperators to text without permission then VIRGIN are responsible.

Virgin have a duty of care to their customers and if they will not resolve this issue then it is up to every Virgin usere to dump them for a provider who will give this service. Social media is a good place to start complaining and publicising.

Not good enough for Virgin to wash their hands and say nothing to do with us

all prefixed by 7000

Numbers46144

etc.etc.  £4.50 a pop to a 71 year old lady who needs a mobile phone for health and personal safety issues

I am disgusted with Virgin's response!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

just a thought if you've got an android phone.

I downloaded an App called "Calls Blacklist" (there are many others but this was free & I've found it effective). It prevents you receiving calls & texts form any number given it.

Granted, you have to know the number before you can block it but at least you can prevent those that have already tried you & add to the list those numbers most commonly listed on the web.

Fortunately I've not had your problem with premium SMS texts, just PPI & people claiming that I'm owed a fortune for an accident that I never had!

Annoying but at least that is all and this App deals with those calls/texts fine Smiley Happy

Hope that this may be of some use.

AlexKid :-)

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@AlexKid

It is indeed useful to download an application for that, however, blocking the number from the handset wouldn't stop the initial charge. The app either merely deletes the message for you or just simply not display the message.

I also echo Mat_H's comment that Virgin don't have an option to block the numbers including premium rate SMS.

The charge would already go through on to the account even if its blocked by the handset

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
trevorjones
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The numbers appear to change from month to month but the this months number are 700046112 and 700024021 and cost me £9.35 this month, If Virgin Mobile can't or won't stop these fraudsters from robbing me than I'll have no other choice than to change from Virgin to another provider who can prevent these premium rate texts.

There is nothing that winds me up more than the inability of service provider to provide a safe service free from fraudulent activities.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi trevorjones,

the contact information for both numbers is contained in EE's Third Party Services Checker 

Texting back "STOP" or “STOP ALL” to the shortcode should end the service.

Or use the contact information for the company to contact them directly to unsubscribe.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos