Menu
maffa
Dialled in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I thought my Sim tariff wasnt supposed to be linked to my phone contract

9 months ago I took out a 24 months contract phone with VM for a Sony Z3 compact at £14 per month, while continuing to have a £5 a month sim (sim carried over from previous phone) for 250 minutes free texts and 250mb of data.

Upon receiving an offer through the post this week for a £5 a month sim for 250 minutes, free texts and 500mb of data, I called up and enquired about my missing 250mb of data.  I was told that I was unable to have the upgrade as the current sim is linked to my contract with the Sony Z3 phone and until that was paid off in full, I am unable to have the upgrade.   I was of course offered the £8 upgrade which it seems is not linked to my phone - go figure?  After much too-ing and fro-ing I was offered free 250mb of data for the next month only and told to call back when the 'systems had caught up'. Weird!

Anyway, I have another £5 a month sim for the same allowances of 250 minutes free texts and 250mb of data for my son which I was able to upgrade to the 500mb at no additional cost or 'waiting for systems to update'.  I tried to question this with the lovely lady in India but communications and language barrier reared it ugly head again and I found myself not understanding the polite lady on the other end.

Can any VM forum admin look into this or shed some light on what is going on? Am I being penalized for have a phone bought from VM?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: I thought my Sim tariff wasnt supposed to be linked to my phone contract

Maffa said: Am I being penalized for have a phone bought from VM?

Yes you are, if you have a Freestyle phone contract, you can only upgrade your 30 day sim-only with tarrifs that were available the day you took the phone contract out.

Still trying to figure out why that rule is in place, if you don't mind a new number - you could cancel your 30 day sim-only and take a new out with VM with the new allowances = crazy
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
maffa
Dialled in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Teabag,

It still doesn't make it easier to stomach though.

The point is, my current £5 sim a month deal has been running for years now and is no way linked to my contract of £14 a month. Separate direct debits between the two, and nothing was mentioned about this when the phone was bought.

How can I be allowed to 'upgrade' my sim to the £8 or £10 a month when I cant have the current offer of what the £5 sim is offering? Again, asking for a VM forum admin to look in to this and reply please.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Was the £8 sim they offered you with the new allowance of 1gig data or the old 500meg allowance?
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
a_ukboy
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue, I brought an iPhone through VM October last year, it was simply to replace my stolen phone which was on contract with Vodafone, yes I didn't have insurance! I do now...
Anyway my Vodafone contract is coming to an end, I'm thinking of moving my number across to VM, but I can't have any of the new tariffs, and 5gb for £18 is not that competitive anymore, and also 5GB is not enough for me!
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

a_ukboy said: and also 5GB is not enough for me!

At present if your data needs are more than 3.5gb monthly, you certainly don't want to be with Virgin,
0 Kudos
maffa
Dialled in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm unsure what she offered on the phone, but checking on my online account the £8 upgrade is only offering 500mb of data.

What I still fail to realize is my sim which has been active for years is not (or should not be)  linked to my phone contract. If I pay up front and pay off my phone early where's the guarantee that I will be able to upgrade to what is being offered to new contracts?

Again, waiting for a comment from VM admin (3rd time of asking)

a_ukboy
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

The 5GB maximum I'm allowed is defiantly not enough, so looks like I'll be staying with Vodafone, VM tariffs aren't that competitive anymore for data! Also lack of 4G... Although the advisor did tell me that a deal has been done now finally with EE and 4G will be available by the end of this year! 

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Your right about the data situation, even though you would have a 5gb allowance, this would be capped at 3.5gb - so your last 1.5gb would be running at a very slow speed, also 5gb would not be your maximum - you can carry on using data at the very slow speed for a measly £2 @day :-)

The news that 4g is coming soon from CS has been around for at least 2 years :-(
0 Kudos
maffa
Dialled in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Come on Virgin, an official reply or answer to my question?
0 Kudos