Menu
Angie08
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I need to buy a new phone but want to stay on my 30 day rolling sim only contract

I'm currently on a sim only 30 day rolling contract.

I need to buy a new phone, but the one I'm looking at has a micro sim, wheras my current phone has a standard sim.

I want to keep my number and stay on my existing 30 day sim only contract.

If I buy a sim free handset will Virgin  be able to send me a new micro sim with my current number, data and monthly minutes on it?

Do I need to give any notice if I'm doing this and is there a charge for the new sim to be sent out?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need to buy a new phone but want to stay on my 30 day rolling sim only contract

Ring 789 and ask for a replacement SIM in the size you need. It shouldn't change anything else - but the old SIM will be blocked: It's not possible to have one number linked to two SIMs.

0 Kudos
Angie08
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need to buy a new phone but want to stay on my 30 day rolling sim only contract

Thanks Gorf, for your reply.

That's fine  re; old sim being blocked as I will only use the new phone and sim, once I've got it.

I've got a micro SD card in my current phone, which I'm assuming is where my photos and videos are stored. Will I need to pop that into my new phone (sorry, but I'm not up to date with technology!) or do I need to transfer these somehow to another SD card?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Assuming the new handset also has a Micro SD slot, you can just take the card out of the old handset and put it in the new one.

Bear in mind that some apps store files in the handset's own memory rather than the card - for example my phone's camera app stores single shots on the SD card but burst photos get stored on the handset.

Bear in mind also that your new handset may use different storage locations than the old handset for data you create such as photos.

You need to find a way to store your contacts, calendar, texts etc in time for the transition. For us to help with that, you'd need to let us know the old and new handset make/model.

0 Kudos
Angie08
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The phone I've got is Samsung Galaxy Ace

My new phone will be Samsung Galaxy Core Prime

I don't mind if I have to re-put all my contacts into the new sim, and I'm not worried about saving text messages to my sim.

The only things I didn't want to lose are my videos/photos which I've stored on my micro SD card.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

From a practical perspective (nothing to do with your phone swap) you need to look into getting your photos/videos onto some other storage anyway. If your phone is lost or stolen, so are your pictures and videos.

Any data which is precious should be stored in at least two places.

The easiest way is to use a cloud storage facility like Dropbox. Your photos are uploaded immediately (unless you tell it to do it over home wifi) and you can sync that back to your home computer. I could take a photo in Whitby when I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago and within a minute my stepson could see it on the PC at home.

There are other ways, such as using a MicroSD adapter to put the MicroSD card straight into the PC, or using the USB cable to transfer via KIES, but I like the idea of automatic backups. Plus, if you run out of space, you can safely delete your older videos and photos in the knowledge that they are on Dropbox and on your PC (only delete the ones that were shot after you installed dropbox, though).

As both phones are Android powered, you may find that your contacts will transfer automatically. I think they get backed up to your Google account.

If you do feel the need to keep any text messages, there are plenty of SMS backup free apps on the Play Store.

0 Kudos
Angie08
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's great Gorf,

Thank you very much for all your help and taking time to reply.

Much appreciated

0 Kudos