Menu
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting a new smartphone, and have a couple of queries

I've always had a company phone since mobiles came out, but I'm retiring at the end of the month and am therefore looking to buy my own. I have limited requirements and therefore the Samsung Galaxy Ace S111 mini is the basic one that I'm thinking of getting, at £11 per month being an existing broadband/landline customer.

What are the pros and cons of paying an extra £4 per month for Virgin Protect insurance? A phone may be covered on my house insurance although I'm not sure I'd want to claim for it if the phone was lost or stolen as I'm on a favourable contents policy that is free with the buildings insurance unless and until I make a claim. If I don't have any insurance, do I then simply report it lost/stolen and buy a cheap replacement at e.g. CEX and get it attached to my account, or what?

Are there any other considerations, requirements or hidden costs (apart from the one for paper bills which I wouldn't need) I need to know about? Some of the small print on the website relating to mobiles refers to a wifi device being required at an upfront fee but presumably I don't have any need for that. My home broadband is wired, not wifi, and I assume the phone will work fine on G3?

Thanks to anyone who's able to offer guidance on this. I don't want to sign up for 24 months and not know what I'm signing up to exactly!

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: I'm getting a new smartphone, and have a couple of queries

I was in a more or less similar situation and did what you are thinking of.

Got an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 5830i from e bay (OK I took a chance and I probably wouldn't recommend it but I was lucky and got one in as new condition with everything cleared for about £40.00), hardly latest model but ideal for me and has good camera.

Went for rolling monthly SIM at £12.00 per month (less a bit of discount) for 1200 minutes talk, unlimited texts and one gigasomething of internet which I don't use (only use wifi).

If I lose it I'll just report it to VM to get it blocked, buy another phone and get a replacement sim card (£5.00 or so I think).

I always avoid contracts whenever I can (ever since I signed on for water skiing in Cyprus and ended up trudging over Dartmoor with rifle and pack). I can just give 30 days notice at any time.

Be aware that the free insurance on a contract deal involves an excess of at least £75.00 which hardly makes it financially viable unless you have a really top of the range phone (the prices horrify me). Don't know about Virgin Protect but make sure you check t&cs particularly re excess.

I have total peace of mind with my arrangement.

VM have been fine (mostly) but would suggest a bit of research re providers and deals available.

If you take a bit of time to look through this section you will see all sorts of problems ie no 4G etc etc - probably the same with other providers forums. Doesn't effect me as I don't really understand most of the issues (ignorance is bliss)..

Good luck with it.

Seffrid
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks spell.

I'm still researching, it currently looks like VM are in the running with one other provider, will decide shortly.

0 Kudos
greyhair33
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Followed with interest.  I do not own a smartphone or tablet, but just received a promotional offer from VM for a LG Spirit and an android tablet included for just £11 month.  As an old geyzer being pestered by family to come into the 21st Century and not having a clue what the fuss is, what does the forum think of this offer? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Thanks for any advice in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think £11 per month for a S3 mini isn't a bad deal. That's £4 more per month than I'm currently paying, and I don't get a phone for that!

An alternative for you to consider is to find a SIM-only deal that you like the look of, then go to Tesco and buy an unlocked mobile for about £40. The only thing those cheap ones are missing is a GPS receiver and (perhaps) wifi.

If I were making the choice for myself, I'd get the S3 without insuring it, and keep the supermarket-bought handset as a backup plan in case anything bad happened.

That's based on personal experience though. Ask yourself when was the last time you broke a mobile. As mine was 17 years ago (I drove over a Nokia in a land rover - they both survived with minimal damage) I figured that any money spent on insurance was most likely just wasted.

0 Kudos
Seffrid
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just to update on my original post as the topic has been revived, I ended up getting the phone through the other provider for £11 per month with insurance at £24.99 per annum. I've had it for almost 12 months now and have been very happy with the arrangements as well as the network coverage. The only downside is that I've been bombarded ever since by VM who still want to sell me their phone!
0 Kudos