Menu
Lynneji
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have had a Sony Xperia M2 since February but I have 2 problems.

I have had a Sony Xperia M2 since February but I have 2 ongoing problems: 

1.  when I turn the phone off it makes a loud notification sound.  Sony have said that if I go to settings & turn off the Start-up sound this will stop, but that doesn't work - they have no other suggestions.

2.  I keep getting notified that my phone memory is 75% full & I must transfer to SD card.  This I've done, although I only had some photos & a few apps, but I still keep getting the same message.  I have far fewer apps etc that I did on my old Sony & far fewer than most people I know so how can the internal memory be so full?  I have had endless emails with Sony, but they can't help.  Is this a common problem or might it be a rogue phone?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I have had a Sony Xperia M2 since February but I have 2 problems.

Blimey!  I've never seen an Android app that size!!! Unless you're a dedicated Google + User, I'd get rid of it, as it's taking over a fifth of your available storage. You can't actually uninstall it, as it comes with the OS, it seems, but you can touch the uninstall button, which will then ask you if you want to use the factory version. Accept that, which removes all the updates and data, and when done, touch disable.  You'll get the standard Android warning that the world will end if you do that, but ignore it.  This will stop it updating in the future.  You should then get back a fair bit of that 1.3gb!  Other data caches to look at, which you might need to access by swiping right to left in the apps screen and then look under the All header, are Google Play and Google Services. They can get very big.

As for your tones, try going into the Sound menu, then see if xLOUD is checked. If it is, uncheck it and then see if you can find a happy balance between your various tones using the volume slider. I've found that setting affects some sounds more than others. If that doesn't work, use the volume rocker switch on the right side of the phone to mute the phone before you turn it off (just remember you  need to turn it back up when you restart the phone).Then again, do you really need to keep turning your phone off?  You could get by through setting it to Airplane mode from the quick menu, which will turn off all the wireless functions and thus save the battery, or just mute it, if you're going into a theatre or somewhere like that. Turning it on and off uses up more battery, but obviously you may be in a situation where you have no choice but to do that. Personally, I wouldn't! Incidentally, I've just tried turning off the start up notification sound on mine, and you don't get any tone either when you turn it on, or off.  Make sure that box is unchecked, they do seem to have a habit of rechecking themselves when you're not looking.

Hope all that makes sense; good luck!

0 Kudos

All Replies
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have two M2s, and neither of them make a LOUD noise, when shutting down; the volume of any tone is controlled by the phone settings. Are your ringtones also very loud? Go to Settings/Sound (under the device heading)/volumes/ringtone and notifications. If the slider for ringtones & notifications is all the way to the right, move it to the left. If that doesn't cure it, I'm not sure what will to be honest.

As for your data issue, I have a shedload of apps on my phone and still have 2.1gb free on the device, so I suspect, assuming you haven't downloaded many hundreds of apps, that you may have a load of cached data sloshing around the system. Go to Settings then under the Device heading  touch Storage. That will show you the total device memory, which on mine is 5gb. Then it will show you how  much space is available, and what is taking up the used space. The one to look at is cached data; if that's massive, say over 1gb (I'm looking at mine as I type and its only 218mb) then you'll need to delete cached data.

To do this go to Settings/Apps (again under the device heading) and under downloaded you'll see a list of all your downloaded apps. If you touch each one in turn, you'll see near the bottom a blue heading CACHE. There will be a usage figure  there.  Touch 'clear cache' and you'll free up some space.  There are also other data storage options you can clear on this screen, but unlike the cache area, they will also delete any account information you may have entered, so beware! Unfortunately you have to do this for every app (unless someone out there knows a quicker way, in which case please tell us!)

Also you say you only have a few photos; these can actually be quite large, so I'd shift all of them over to the SD card, if you haven't already done so and set the camera function to save files there automatically. Likewise music and video files, if you have any of these.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Lynneji
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this.  Yes I've tried the volume setting but if I put the volume down it also affects the other notifications that I want to hear, I might have to just live with it!

I need to sort out the storage though,  I had already moved the photos to the SD card. I've cleared the cache as you suggested but it only freed up a bit of space (the cached data was 380mb).  Out of my total 5gb I only have 1.36gb available after clearing cache data.   Apps are taking up 3.00gb of space, but Google+ is 1.31gb of this - can that be right?  After that Facebook is using 214mb & the other apps a lot less.  It looks like Google+ could be the problem - can I disable it and/or clear data without causing problems?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Blimey!  I've never seen an Android app that size!!! Unless you're a dedicated Google + User, I'd get rid of it, as it's taking over a fifth of your available storage. You can't actually uninstall it, as it comes with the OS, it seems, but you can touch the uninstall button, which will then ask you if you want to use the factory version. Accept that, which removes all the updates and data, and when done, touch disable.  You'll get the standard Android warning that the world will end if you do that, but ignore it.  This will stop it updating in the future.  You should then get back a fair bit of that 1.3gb!  Other data caches to look at, which you might need to access by swiping right to left in the apps screen and then look under the All header, are Google Play and Google Services. They can get very big.

As for your tones, try going into the Sound menu, then see if xLOUD is checked. If it is, uncheck it and then see if you can find a happy balance between your various tones using the volume slider. I've found that setting affects some sounds more than others. If that doesn't work, use the volume rocker switch on the right side of the phone to mute the phone before you turn it off (just remember you  need to turn it back up when you restart the phone).Then again, do you really need to keep turning your phone off?  You could get by through setting it to Airplane mode from the quick menu, which will turn off all the wireless functions and thus save the battery, or just mute it, if you're going into a theatre or somewhere like that. Turning it on and off uses up more battery, but obviously you may be in a situation where you have no choice but to do that. Personally, I wouldn't! Incidentally, I've just tried turning off the start up notification sound on mine, and you don't get any tone either when you turn it on, or off.  Make sure that box is unchecked, they do seem to have a habit of rechecking themselves when you're not looking.

Hope all that makes sense; good luck!

0 Kudos
Lynneji
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for this, you have solved my problem in a day when I've been emailing Sony for over a month with no luck!  I have done the factory setting for Google+ & it's taken the size right down, so of course my storage is now looking more normal!  I will also do as you suggest with the power down tone.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
mikefraser
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Excellent! Glad I could help ; I love the M2, but it does have its funny little ways. A little regular housekeeping on the data caches pays dividends, especially Facebook and Twitter. Enjoy!
0 Kudos