Menu
HelenW1306
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have bought a new Xperia Z1 - the new micro Sim has no service and my old SIM has been cut off!

I have been having problems since I bought an Xperia Z1 last week from a Virgin store.  My existing SIM details are meant to have transferred to the new micro Sim in the new phone.  I have spoken to Customer Services on numerous occasions and been back to the store twice.  I tried activating the Sim on here just now and it says it is activated.  The old Sim in my old phone stopped working this morning so I am now without a phone.

Please can somebody help?  

I have tried taking the sim out, rebooting the phone, tried manually selecting the network but still nothing!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have bought a new Xperia Z1 - the new micro Sim has no service and my old SIM has been cut ...

Hi HelenW1306,

Welcome to the forums.

This is nothing to worry about Smiley Happy It can take up to 24 hours for all this to be processed on our side. If the sim hasn't activated after 24 hours, please give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and we'll make sure it's all sorted.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
HelenW1306
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have bought a new Xperia Z1 - the new micro Sim has no service and my old SIM has been cut ...

It didn't start to work after 24 hours.  In fact I gave it 48 hours and then went back to the shop because I knew time was running out to get a refund on new phone and to be honest I was going to go to Vodafone.  So the guy in the shop phoned Technical Support or something who said they had no record of the call I'd watched him make a couple of days before.  They hadn't got the number on the sim card or anything.  I thought I'd give them one last chance because the guy in the shop said he'd never had these problems before and definitely no problems when phoning this particular help line.  I had said I wanted my money back if I couldn't leave with a working phone but he said it could take up to 8 hours to start.  He sold me another pay as you go sim card so at least I could use the phone.  Anyway I gave it 8 hours, 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours and the card still didn't work.

I am pleased with the phone which is one thing but the whole point of staying with Virgin was because I wanted to keep the same number.  I also knew that I had #60 built up to take off the price of a phone.  Unfortunately I didn't take the paper voucher to the shop because I assumed their records would show this but instead I was told I only had #30 built up.  On top of that since I bought the phone I've had to buy a Sim card from Sainsburys so I could at least make phone calls from the old phone I had when my number went off.  I've then bought another Virgin Sim plus #10 credit which was meant to be a temporary number.  I've got about #15 credit on my original Sim which I can't use.  I was on the package that had unlimited calls before because the phone  didn't have internet access but this "temporary" card is on the Big Data tariff which means that phone calls cost a fortune - almost #5 for a 12 minute call to a landline!!!  

So all in all I am really fed up with Virgin.  And I can't face phoning the help line and getting another cheerful American who doesn't have a solution for me but ends the call with a cheery "is there anything else I can do for you?".  I'd never had a problem with Virgin before but now I wish I'd just gone to vodafone because I am sure that I could've left their shop with a phone that was working on the first day plus I understand their tariffs offer the option to have unlimited data and calls.  I'm also sure it wouldn't have cost me as much money as this fiasco has so far.

0 Kudos
HelenW1306
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I forgot to say that the Sim cards that had supposedly been sent to my home address never arrived which is another reason why I can't really see the point of phoning the helpline when they don't do anything to help in the first place.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi HelenW1306,

Thanks for keeping me updated. So we can get this looked into for you, I've sent you a PM detailing the next steps.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
HelenW1306
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have bought a new Xperia Z1 - the new micro Sim has no service and my old SIM has been cu

Do Virgin actually do a pay as you go tariff that has data, phone calls and text?  Or is either/or?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have bought a new Xperia Z1 - the new micro Sim has no service and my old SIM has been cu

Hi HelenW1306,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

All tarriffs for Pay as You Go can be found here. I hope this helps Smiley Happy

Let me know if you have any other queries.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
HelenW1306
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I received a third SIM on Friday and had been told it would be activated. It says no service. I've left it 24 hours, I have restarted the phone, searched for network etc etc - still nothing.

This temp SIM card I have is on the Bit Data tariff which is too expensive to call from and I need to leave a permanent phone number so I Cannot wait forever for a solution.
0 Kudos
HelenW1306
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Who do I address complaints to?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi HelenW1306

Sorry again for the problems you're experiencing, as we'd need to clear security to be able to take a proper look at this I'd recommend you give the team a call, that will be the quickest way of getting in touch to get this resolved.

Normally when we activate the SIM for you, your current SIM will stop working when we send your new one, is that the case here?

If you wish to make a complaint, visit the [Contact us] page, select one of the categories and follow the links.

I'd love to hear how it goes.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos