Menu
Loyalcustomer1
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have a poor 3G signal on mobile and would like to try a 4g sim

Is it possible to get a 4g sim and try it to see if it improves my reception?  We have been with virgin for years and I would like to stay with them as we have a great deal. 

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I have a poor 3G signal on mobile and would like to try a 4g sim

yes just pick up a fee payg sim from BT, EE and pop it in, you will see if 4G is available, you phone will of course need to support 4G and have it selected in network type (2g/3g/4g auto is about what your looking for Smiley Happy

Virgin use their network all their payg sims support a 4G signal, i've just done the same this last few day, Good Luck

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Loyalcustomer1,

you can request a 4G SIM but it will require you moving to one of the new 4G tariffs: http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

J0hn
Super solver
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

yes just pick up a fee payg sim from BT, EE and pop it in, you will see if 4G is available, you phone will of course need to support 4G and have it selected in network type (2g/3g/4g auto is about what your looking for Smiley Happy

Virgin use their network all their payg sims support a 4G signal, i've just done the same this last few day, Good Luck
Loyalcustomer1
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Did you have a poor signal to start with? Did the 4g improve the signal so that you could receive and make calls?

Thanks

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

For me no it didn't, it seems my local cell site is not far away but is blown into the river valley about two hundred feet below us, you need almost line of sight, three hundred yards away it's a very strong signal, sad.....
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It will use the same EE masts as now and will get bottom priory when calls are made.

VM Mobile came to the table last so got the poorest deal from EE and that is why they are the last to get 4G and not the best deals £.

I had a full signal for 2-3month on joining VM Mobile in March-April 2014 then it went downhill to slower than 1/2Mb/s and mostly E sometimes G but not 3G+ or H+ connection.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

First come first serve no priority at all just the lowest 4G that EE also sell to its customers, there is no hidden agenda
0 Kudos
jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Priority for all calls on masts, if XXX amount of EE and other networks make calls you get reduced signal, so I am told by VM 2nd line and EE as there is no faults in my area.

This is about signal not 3G or 4G as it will be same signal from same mast.

Right now I have no signal, Emergency call only, this can change to any other status at any time but even on H+ I will never get the same Speedtests results I did when I newly joined.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey jhuk, 

I’m so sorry to hear about the issue that you are having. I have had a look into your area and I can confirm there is issues in your area, what I can see is 2 of the 3 sites that you would pick up signal from is currently out of order, This means that the mast that is working will pick up the calling and texting traffic for your area and can cause your signal on your device to dip in and out.  

EE are in the process of having this resolved but there’s no estimated time of fix from them yet. 

If you would like to keep up to date with what is going on, you can always give us a call on 0345 6000 789 and we can check this for you.

Take care

Kelly

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It seems that some people believe that a 4G signal will help them with making and receiving calls - it won't.

Unless you have the right type of phone, and unless your network supports it (Virgin don't) you cannot make calls over 4G

They system required is known as VOLTE (Voice over LTE) and as far as I know only 3 support it on selected phones. I may be wrong as EE have been promising it for some time, but it is certainly not available on Virgin.