Menu
Imran111
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I got sent a faulty phone and I have to pay for a fix?!??

I've recently brought a Sony M4 Aqua on contract. When I received the phone, the first thing I did was put the sim card inside and switch it on. When it was on it said 'No Sim - No Network' - or something similar like that. I was surprised as I was sure I inserted the sim correctly just as I have done with another M4 Aqua I brought 1/2 days before that one.

I called Virgin Media the same day I received the faulty phone, told them about my problem and went through some checks such as checking for any moisture, damage, restarting the device and factory resting it. Done all that with the Virgin Media guy on the phone and it still didn't work. He then told me I will receive a container to put my device in and send it back to them for repair. I got it a few days later and sent it to them.

Few more days later I received a call from Virgin Media. Apparently I have to pay £79 to get it repaired because THEY sent me it faulty. I felt like banging my head against a wall at that moment, what kind of logic is that? He also gave me the option to get it sent back to me still faulty, repair it somewhere local and mess up my warranty. I just want a new phone sent to me. No charges. No voiding warranties. I had similar problems with other companies and I've always gotten a replacement and a warm 'sorry'. I explained to the man on the phone probably like 20 times that it's Virgin Media/Sony's fault not mine, why do I have to pay to fix it but he still told me I'd have to pay.

Please can someone help me out here? 

0 Kudos
Imran111
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: I got sent a faulty phone and I have to pay for a fix?!??

Bump.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Imran111
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So I should cancel the payments and send them everything back? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No, Ring them first, and find out how you cancel. If the phone is genuinely faulty, do not accept a "warranty repair" - you are just setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

If you can, record the call.

0 Kudos
Imran111
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK, so I rang them again. This is what I got.

If I want a warranty repair, I have to pay £70.

If I want to cancel the payment and keep the package, I have to pay £192.

I don't think the person on the phone understood that I want to send the stuff back all in brand new condition and not pay anything - I'll be going to a Virgin Media store this week to speak face to face with good English speaking Virgin Media sales person.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

May be worth talking to both Citizens' Advice and Trading Standards

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Imran111 wrote:

OK, so I rang them again...

Did you record the call?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It might be worth waiting for the @ForumTeam to pick this up.  Because whoever you spoke to on the phone clearly doesn't understand hot the law applies here.

As you've reported the goods faulty within 30 days of receipt you're entitled to a full refund.  They shouldn't even be talking about the warranty is this is simply a manufacturers guarantee that the goods will last for at least x amount of time, but doesn't affect your consumer rights.

What Virgin should have done is offer a refund or a replacement handset, assuming you still wanted a contract with them - most likely the latter.  I believe they are entitled to send it for a repair if they so choose - but this should not be charged to you at any rate.

You can try calling back or as you suggested going into a Virgin shop to speak to them.  Advise them that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 they are obligated to repair or replace the phone AT NO CHARGE to you, as the device was faulty from the outset.

Alternatively wait for the Forum Team to pick the thread up.  But it can take a couple of days for them to do so.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Imran11,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry for any frustration caused on our part. I want to get to the bottom of this for you. We would only request a payment for repair if the phone was damaged in any way. Did our team give any indication of what the damage was?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos