Menu
Jac13
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am in Lanzarote and myself and daughter both unable to sign on to available networks

Both our mobile phones are unable to sign on with a network in Lanzarote (available networks are Orange/ Vodafone and Movistar). when trying to register - message says -your sim card does not allow a connection to this network! The roaming was switched on our accounts 2 days before travelling after speaking with virgin media. 1st time abroad with new phones since christmas. Not very Happy 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am in Lanzarote and myself and daughter both unable to sign on to available networks

Hi Jac13,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy

Sorry to hear your having difficulty roaming whilst abroad.

Movistar is a network supported by us so this would be suitable. There's a possibility roaming may not be enabled on the account or it is enabled but hasn't gone through successfully.

If you log into your Virgin Mobile My account click on to the relevant handset and select plan and device then click the manage service tab. Next to going abroad if it is turned off select on and then click update. If it is already on switch it off then update and repeat the process selecting on to enable it. It may take up to 24hrs to process. I would recommend a reboot of the phone once this has been done.

Hope this helps.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Jac13
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am in Lanzarote and myself and daughter both unable to sign on to available networks

..update....thank you for your reply. I have followed your advice but we are still unable to use our phones. The abroad switch was on so turned it off then on again....(although it says you can only do this when you are in the UK).I believe the problem stems from my phone call to VM a few days before travel. The advisor seemed rather uninformed as to the procedure and kept putting me on hold (whilst she was asking advice from someone else in the background). At one point she asked me if Lanzarote was in the Bahamas! I am not impressed with Virgin Media as not one but two phones are not in use. I will follow up when I get home.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jac13,

I'm really sorry that you're still unable to use the phones. So we can get this sorted, I'd  advise to give us a call on +447953967967 from any other phone. Our team will do all they can to get this working for you.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Jac13
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your suggestion but our holiday nearly over so not going to waste any more of our time. We already have 2 phones but unable to use them. Reading the forum appears a number of customers have experienced similar problems. Virgin Media need to get their act together and clearly spell out to customers the procedure required and also ensure their call centre staff are fully trained and knowledgeable. This would help improve customer confidence which is failing fast! I will be travelling to Europe again in about 2 months and this time 3 of the party will have VM mobile phones. What are the chances of one of them working? Watch this space!  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

HI Jac13,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry that this hasn't worked for you. Please give us a call before you travel next and we'll ensure that everything is set up correctly.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Jac13
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi here we are back in Europe ( this time Menorca) 2+ months later.Virgin apologised for the probs in May (when we arrived home) and assured me we would be ok for August for the 3 mobiles. Good news is the 2 mobiles have signed on to network Movistar..no problems. Thanks Virgin! However the 3rd mobile (my husbands)will not sign onto a network...sim card will not allow it. Déjà vous... Could this be because it is the phones first visit to Europe. Would appear so as that was the case with the other 2 phones in May. Have tried ringing the helpline.....no success ...says busy lines or just cuts me off!  Not very good Virgin!  Thanks for your advice in May.....can you help? Tried the usual taking battery out whilst phone on and checked account...we are all switched on....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jac13,

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry you're having the same problem trying to roam abroad.

I suspect it is because it's the first time abroad for that handset even though you were told you were okay for the 3 mobiles.

I'd like to help with this matter. I'll now send you a private message to discuss further. To view this click on the red envelope on the top left.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos