Menu
cmh123
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How to unlock my phone?

Hi,

I've got an old Siemens A65 phone that I bought from Virgin around 10 years ago. I moved from Virgin to a different mobile company (Family Mobile) a few years ago. Now Family Mobile are closing down, so I'm switching to Co-op Mobile. 

The problem is when I put the new sim card from Co-op Mobile in my phone I get a message "disabled! NETWORK LOCK". I think this network lock must be done by Virgin. (who I bought the phone from, and used their mobile service for a few years.)

I rang Virgin customer service to ask them to unlock the phone, and he told me that because it was an old phone there was some technical reason why he couldn't unlock it. He said what I had to do was go on the Virgin Mobile web site, click on "help & support", type "unlock phone" in the search and a form would come up that I had to fill in that would get the phone unlocked.

Well, now having gone to the web site and done that I've found there is no such form, or anything useful at all about how to unlock a phone! Pretty shocked that Virgin customer services would just blatantly lie to people to get rid of them! 

So, my question now is how do I get rid of the "network lock" on my phone? 

I found a web site by Giff Gaff about unlocking and it says that for my model of phone the site www.myphoneunlockcode.com can provide an unlock code, but I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it. Are these unlocking web sites legit?

Still puzzled over why Virgin won't give me the unlocking code, and why they felt the need to make up stupid lies. Very unprofessional.

Thanks for any help or advice. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cmh123
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to unlock my phone?

Anybody got any ideas? Are there any Virgin staff here who can help?

If there is an online form somewhere on the Virgin web site that I can fill in to get a Siemens A65 phone unlocked from the Virgin network, could you give me a link to it?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It is an unlock by code phone. So it looks like you will need to use an unlocking service.

Might be worth trying one of these market unlocking shops and see what they say.

I think if it was me and it was going to cost £15 to unlock a phone that old, I would be tempted to buy a new one. 

Lot's of cheap Android phones on the market now.

0 Kudos
cmh123
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, think I'll try one of those phone shops and see if they can unlock it cheaply.

0 Kudos