Menu
fionareid
Tuning in
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

How to stop receiving marketing/ text spam from Virgin Media

Hello, 

I joined Virgin Media just over 2 weeks ago. Since my number was ported over I've been receiving a text message from Virgin Media every week day (Mon - Fri). When I signed up I explicitiy asked not to be added to any marketing or such like lists but that appears to have been ignored. If I want to find out more about products or services or what my phone can do I'm perfectly capable of doing so myself. I don't require a daily reminder. 

The messages are generally advertising some product or service on the Virgin website, e.g. the first one read

"It's lovely to have you as a Virgin Mobile customer. We'll text you soon to help you make the most of your mobile. So get ready to be wowed"

Today's was: "Hope you're enjoying being a part of Virgin mobile and staying connected wherever you go. Continue making the most of your mobile at virginmedia.com/explore"

On my phone the messages are marked as being from "VirginMedia" no number is displayed when I ask for the message details.  I've already called 789 and asked that these messages be stopped and was told it would take a few days. A week later I'm still receiving them on a daily basis. Oh and to top it all, after calling to ask that these message be stopped I was sent a survey by text re. my experience phoning customer service which entailed being sent several more texts. I've also tried sending STOP and STOP ALL to back in a text but it fails to let me send text back to VirginMedia. 

Any ideas as to how I can please stop receiving this unsolicited material? 

Many thanks, 

Fiona

Forum Team (Retired) Krystal_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to stop receiving marketing/ text spam from Virgin Media

Hi Fiona,

You can text the word NO to 80159 to stop these marketing texts. It will take roughly 48 hours to register this on the system.

Many thanks.

Krystal Evans
Mobile Help & Support Forum Team

boodle
Joining in
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Just so you are aware, the above 80159 is not the number that the messages are sent from, nor is there any mention of how to stop the messages in the messages themselves, nor is there any way I can see to do this from my online account, nor is it possible for phone based customer service to do this (I tried for 20 minutes yesterday), and finally; the method described above actually takes 10 days according to the text message you get in reply.

The current system you have is currently in violation of The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, which came into force in the UK on 11th December 2003, as you must make it easy for recipients to unsubscribe from future communications, and you must provide a valid reply address.
richyc
Tuning in
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

This is why I've come here as well - trying to figure out how to unsubscribe from these annoying text messages (also started after I had ported a number across). As someone who already has a phone (hence the need to port a number and use PAYG), I don't NEED text messages to let me know how to "make the most of your mobile" and since I signed up for PAYG service online, I don't need a text message to prompt me to "register your phone online" now do I need a text message letting me I have coverage (if I didn't have coverage, I wouldn't have received the message) - and getting these EVERY SINGLE DAY with NO opt-out instructions is very very very annoying.

After texting 80159 "NO" (found via this thread) and to be told it could take up to 10 days is franking insulting.

We have got another 4 other mobile phones in this household, all of which we were considering moving to VirginMobile, but this is really really putting me off.

0 Kudos
richyc
Tuning in
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

And another one today "For every £100 you spend, we give you £10"...
0 Kudos
Throttled
Joining in
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Another victim of spam assault, gob-smacked at the difficultly of removing a highly irritating forced SPAM feed!

Can anyone confirm texting NO to 80159 does eventually work?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rita-B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi Throttled,

Thank you for your post.

Sorry to hear you been getting unwanted text messages from us.

Please call our customer care team on 789 (any Virgin Mobile Phone) or 150 (Virgin Land line) or 0845 6000 789 (from any other Landline) so we can get this resolved for you.

Hopefully once you have called us in, this will be resolved.

Rita B
Help & Support Forum Team

0 Kudos
Stratman
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

10 days to opt out?

I bet it wouldn't take 10 days to opt in!

Hoofpick101
Joining in
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator

One week in to my contract, a text message every day. I did not ask nor do I want! text messages. Oh dear, won't be long before I move my business elsewhere....

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rita-B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hoofpick101,

So sorry to hear you been having problems receiving unwanted text messages. If you call our customer care team we can find out where the text messages are coming from.

Please call our customer care team on 789 (any Virgin Mobile Phone) or 150 (Virgin Land line) or 0845 6000 789 (from any other Landline) so we can look in to this for you.

You can also reply to the message with word 'STOP' and it should stop coming through.

Rita B
Help & Support Forum Team

0 Kudos