Menu
blanbuck
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

How to stop charging SMS texts.

I am getting these texts @£4.50 a time, about 2x a month. I thought I had cancelled. Now I can't remember who they are from. Any ideas how I can block the texts?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How to stop charging SMS texts.

I cant speak for Virgin, but I had a similar problem on EE whereby I received a text saying I had just signed up for a text service costing £6 a week (I had not)

I called EE - they blocked access to all these premium rate numbers on my phone, and then arranged a refund on my behalf from the company.

I guess Virgin should do the same - call them in the first instance and explain - they should be able to block all those for you . Note though - my understanding is that ALL premium numbers are blocked
0 Kudos

All Replies
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I cant speak for Virgin, but I had a similar problem on EE whereby I received a text saying I had just signed up for a text service costing £6 a week (I had not)

I called EE - they blocked access to all these premium rate numbers on my phone, and then arranged a refund on my behalf from the company.

I guess Virgin should do the same - call them in the first instance and explain - they should be able to block all those for you . Note though - my understanding is that ALL premium numbers are blocked
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I think you will find Virgin cannot stop these. 

First off try here to see where they are from http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up/billing-and-payment/your-bill-explained/third-p...

It may give you a way of unsubscribing or a number you can ring.

0 Kudos
blanbuck
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for your help. Rang Virgin, very helpful permanently blocked that no. now. Thanks again for prompt response, no doubt we will talk again.
Cheers.
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Glad it worked out for you
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Also glad it worked out for you. :-)

I believe this is the first post I've seen where Virgin have blocked the number, usually it's down to the customer to sort it out themselves by replying "stop" to the short code.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Right. I've never know Virgin do that - usually they tell you to text STOP

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

would be interesting to see if they have blocked that single number, or all premium (as EE did for me)

0 Kudos
rodbrown1949
Dialled in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have often encountered this same problem and have texted 'STOP' to the short number, which is usually returned as 'not known' and it is then difficult to find the full number anywhere!

I am looking to Virgin Media to provide a full service and not to abrogate their responsibilities! Other companies do it, why can't Virgin Media? They should provide an avernue or process through which users can block both short and long numbers easily, without having to phone them to get it blocked!

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

When you reply to or set up a reoccurring charge item on the phone, the monthly info/ photos or what ever Always arrive on a different phone number to the one the service was set up with.

so replying to the number that you are receiving the chargeable service will NOT result in it stopping.

the way to stop any of these services is to text STOP ALL the the original 5 digit number the text was sent to.

Virgin can search and find this number for you, but it can be a pain for them to find it.

As the customer sets up the service, Virgin can only help and assist, but have no magic wand to wave.

0 Kudos