Menu
para890
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How to find service status for Virgin mobile (2G and 3G)?

How to find service status for Virgin mobile (2G & 3G)?

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to find service status for Virgin mobile (2G & 3G)?

With Virgin running on EE, using the EE service checker will be a good start

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/network-status-checker

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

teabag wrote:

With Virgin running on EE, using the EE service checker will be a good start

http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/network-status-checker

Teabag mate, the EE checker is a bit of a 'red herring' actually.

Viz my experience: 2 phones, identical, one my own, on VM pay monthly, the other my work phone on Orange, (part of EE!)

Now the EE service checker states I have Excellent signal for both phone and internet, and there are no known problems for my area.

Truth is, my personal phone on VM, shows just 2-3 bars of signal, dropping now and then to 1 bar, yet my work phone on Orange shows 5 bars consistently??

This is exactly the same at work, (different postcode) but same result!!  And VM insist there is no distinction between them and EE signal!!

So who do you believe??  (and yes, have tried swapping the sims between phones, with the same results...VM sim, less signal..)

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A red herring or not, it's the one to look at, especially if looking for any masts that might be down.

2G wise I don't really notice a difference.

Up to about 6 months ago - I used to see a difference in the 3G signal, and if in a very crowded place the Virgin 3G data gave up altogether while the EE 3G data kept going.

The EE sim is now on 4G, so I can not compare anymore.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Also is your work phone 4g? As all virgin non business mobiles don't can't access the 4G network despite the phone having an ability
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

J0hn wrote:
Also is your work phone 4g? As all virgin non business mobiles don't can't access the 4G network despite the phone having an ability

'work' phone is a standard Orange pay monthly sim, which I use as a work phone, to keep my private life and my work lives separate, neither phone is on 'business' tariffs, and for the comparisons, both were limited to 3G (Orange phone 4G switched off deliberately to test the 3G signals on both operators.)

Whichever sim is in whichever phone, Orange always gets better 3G signal, and faster data rate than the VM sim.. 

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hugh

ok, that's a sound testing method, do you get a H data reception on both phones or just 3G on the virgin?

Have you checked the network settings are at 2g/3G/ auto or similar?

as you are no doubt aware H is 3G +

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

J0hn wrote:

Hugh

ok, that's a sound testing method, do you get a H data reception on both phones or just 3G on the virgin?

Have you checked the network settings are at 2g/3G/ auto or similar?

as you are no doubt aware H is 3G +

Both are deliberately set to 2g/3g manually, not automatic for these tests, and both phones show H for reception data, just the number of bars and the speeds differ, Orange 5, VM 2-3.  (VM phone has no 4G option, Orange does, but is network  selectable as , 2g only, 2g & 3g only, 3g & 4g only or 2g, 3g, 4g, automatic.

As stated, have deliberately restricted both phones to match the  VM settings to make an accurate comparison. VM signal ALWAYS less than the EE (orange one) despite both phones being the same make, model, both next to one another when tested.

0 Kudos